Gosaba Favorite Tips by goutammitra
Gosaba Favorites: 1 reviews and 5 photos
We are before boarding in the boat
Favorite thing: On return our ordeal started in Sunderban, since the evening was setting in, we needed to start early. We started at 5.45PM for our boat parket in the river. Just about that time we learnt that it was parked in the deep river and we have to walk a bit in mud. We had no idea , what walk a bit would be. We had come during high tide ( the place is very near Bay of Bengal), so we could reach almost near the village by boat . Then the boat was parked deep in the river to avoid being staranded in the mud and wait for high tide which normally comes at around 8.00PM here. So we set for walking to the boat in the river mud ( the surface was not hard). The mud was one to one and half feet deep, walking was very difficult even for a very strong person. Then came the heavy rains and our ordeal began, we got thoroughly drenched. But on reaching water point we learnt that the large boat could not be brought near where we were standing as there water is still in very shallow depth and we need to board in near a creek. We were already very tired, exhausted and fully drenched along with our belonging and it was becoming dark in Sunderban. We had to walk in for another half mile in deep mud and heavy rain. Then we had to walk in about waist deep water to board in the boat for nearly 100 meters. It was totally dark then, with danger from small shark, crocodile and snakes in the river. So we formed a group at the advice from our Sunderban local guide and made lot of commotion in the water, so that the predators get scared away. Finally we reached our boat and then sail for Gathkhali for next four hours. From Gathkhali. it was about 3.30 hrs to Kolkata by SUVs. We reached home at 1.00AM fully wet for 7 hours. Next day I learnt I lost my very expensive mobile set besides other things.
Lesson learnt: Buy a water proof back pack and carry some polythene packets with sealing facility to all these kind of excursion. Have a duplicate mobile set ( a cheap one) to all these expedition. But I used the mobile for exceptional quality of picture and videos. After seven days, I could retrieve the memory chip and downloaded the videos in computer with another set. I have loaded some videos taken on that day in VT, please have a look.
Fondest memory: Italso remind us city folks, as how difficult the life is in Sunderban and their living condition. We experienced just one day but they live it this. But they too avoid venturing out this way unless it's emergency.
More Reviews (31)
- See All Sunderban's only Best Accommodation
- See All Sunderban- Our Humble Effort to help-PII
- See All Sir Daniel Hamilton Trust at Gosaba.
- See All Around Sunderbans by boat only!
goutammitra's Related Pages
Gosaba Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Gosaba
- Hotels in Gosaba
- Transportation in Gosaba
- Nightlife in Gosaba
- Shopping in Gosaba
- Warnings and Dangers in Gosaba
- See All...
Explore the World
- Woodsboro Hotels
- Kos Island Hotels
- Henschotermeer Hotels
- Wellington State Park Hotels
- Kejimkujik National Park
- Campos do Jordão
Badges & Stats in Gosaba
- 32 Reviews
- 208 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Gosaba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gosaba
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Pushpesh Baid seeking for..."
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Gosaba travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sunderban's only Best Accommodation in Gosaba Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunderban's only Best Accommodation"
- updated a Gosaba Travel Page "SUNDERBANS- THE HOME OF THE ROYAL BENGAL TIGER"
- Uploaded a Video to Gosaba
Videos in GosabaSee All Videos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 213 reviews, 1072 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues