"India's only Ski Resort: Gulmarg" Gulmarg by goutammitra
Gulmarg Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 212 photos
Gulmarg has been India's only genuine Ski Resort since British period. There are other places in Himachal where Ski is possible but the Ski area in Gulmarg is about five KM long stretch at an altitude of 13000 feet, which makes it largest and highest Ski slope in Asia.
Gulmarg has been a resort for the kings like Yousuf Shah Chak and Jahangir who used to visit frequently. The old name of Gulmarg was "Gaurimarg", the name of Lord Shiva's wife. Yousuf Shah Chak changed its name to Gulmarg, meaning the place of roses. During the early part of the 20th century the famous Central Asian explorer Sir Marc Aurel Stein (1862–1943), made his home here in a tent between his expeditions. It was a favourite summer holiday destination for the British stationed in India.
The surrounding areas were politically restive during a period of relative peace and quiet. The town is nestled within the imposing Himalayan peaks, and lies within miles of the Line of Control. It receives heavy snowfall during the winter season and is a popular ski resort.
With the abatement of militancy in the area, Gulmarg has quickly become one of the state's most visited destinations. The slopes of the Afarwat Hills of the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalaya Chain boast one of the longest and highest ski slopes in Asia. The total distance covered by ski lifts is five kilometres and the resort peaks at an altitude of 3,950 m (12,959 ft), accessed by an aerial gondola (telecabine).
- Pros:Heavenly place, no pollution !
- Cons:Too much bargaining, people try to cheat here
- In a nutshell:In all touristy places they do, just ignore and enjoy your trip
We did not stay here as were on day visit, we stayed at Hotel Grand Mumtaz at Srinagar. It is their one of the branch... more travel advice
Though Kashmir is a rich tourist state among other Indian states but very very rural in nature! Gulmarg is also no... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Gulmarg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gulmarg - Kashmir Winter Wonderland"
- "India's only Ski Resort: Gulmarg"
- "Meadow of Flowers=Gulmarg"
- "Kashmir, a paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gulmarg
- Hotels in Gulmarg
- Transportation in Gulmarg
- Restaurants in Gulmarg
- Shopping in Gulmarg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gulmarg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gulmarg
- 11 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Gulmarg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gulmarg
- Posted in Travel Gangtok Forum "Re: Visit to Sikkim in February"
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Gulmarg tips
- Wrote a Review Gulmarg's Better Hotels in Gulmarg Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gulmarg's Better Hotels"
- Uploaded a Video to Gulmarg
- created a Gulmarg Travel Page "India's only Ski Resort: Gulmarg"
Photos in GulmargSee All Photos (58)
Videos in GulmargSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1074 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues