"CHENNAI ( MADRAS)- GATEWAY OF SOUTH INDIA." Top 5 Page for this destination Chennai (Madras) by goutammitra
Chennai (Madras) Travel Guide: 439 reviews and 878 photos
Tamilnadu( A rich Cultural Heritage)
The history of the Tamils presents an exciting pageant of a powerful civilization whose origin dates back to ancient times. It is clear that the Tamils, who belong to the Dravidian race, were the first major occupants of the country and settled in the North-Western part of India long before the coming of the indo-Aryans. Excavations have revealed that the features of the people of Indus Valley Civilization bore a strong resemblance to this race. However, with the advent of the Aryans, the Dravidians were pushed back into the Deep South where they ultimately settled. As is the case with most of the early history of the state, it is impossible to pin-point the exact period, when the great Tamil Sangam (Academy) flourished, though it can be said with some certainty that two Sangams were held before the Christian Era and the third between 100 and 250 A.D. The Tamil Sangam, which marks the Golden age of Tamil literature, is the one major source of knowledge about the administration, art, architecture, and economic conditions that existed then. Among some of the greatest compositions of the four centuries of Sangam age are Thiruvalluvar’s Thirukkural which consists 1330 couplets about morality in private life and public life combined with some of life’s greatest truths, compositions of the saint-poetess Avvaiyar, Pathupatu or ten Idyls which is a compilation of the work of several authors on philosophy, intermingled with descriptions of natural world and Ettuthogai or the eight anthologies. Of these, the last historically the most important as it contains a description of daily life of the people. This collection of poems is the earliest record record of its kind as far as the history of the Tamils is concerned. Even after the end of Sangam age, Tamil writers, under the patronage of the Royal Dynasties, continued to produce excellent literatures.
Chennai (Madras) is the capital of Tamilnadu, besides being an important district. The first Grant of Damarly Venkatpathy Nayak makes mention of the village of Madraspatnam. Both Venkatapathy and his brother Ayyappa desired that the name Chennapatnam should be given to the new Fort and settlement of the English after their father Chennapa Nayak. The district city is one of the metropolises of India and serves as the gateway of the culture of South India. Inspite of being the capital of a Tamil speaking state, it has emerged as a Cosmopolitan city playing an important role in the historical, cultural and intellectual development of India, representing still the distinct components of the highest form of Dravidian civilizations. In addition, it holds out an interesting fare of South Indian architecture, Music, Dance, Drama, Sculpture, and other arts and crafts.
Chennai is undoubtedly the cultural capital of India. This city used to be thought as one of the backward cities of India but this is now emerging as rapidly expanding cities of India, which is equally modern yet it has that orthodox values.
In my view the people of South India is more educated, polite, down to earth than rest of India. It has emerged as one of the great learning centres of India with it's modern collages, medical collages, engineering collages it offers very good education to Indian youth. Many boys and girls from East India travel to South India for education in Engineering, Medicine, Computer Science etc.
Not only this, besides being centre of education it also offers the best medical hospitals in the country. The hospitals of South India has earned the reputation of offering honest treatment to the people with care and value for money. Now many European coutries and US are also sending their patients to the hospitals of South India. The CMC Vellore ( Christian Medical collage) and Apollo Group of Hospitals are perfect examples of this. They are getting many patients from Middle East, South East Asia, Europe and America.
As is everywhere, no city can be always perfect, the general South Indian is very helpful, well educated, very respectful to women, speak English, and do not flaunt his wealth. It is always associated with an Indian traveller to visit South India at least once in his life time.
Many people complain about food there but it is due to ignorance. It is perceived that in South India you get only Dosa, Idli, Rasam, Sambhar and Rice. How untrue! We never had any problem ther as far as food is concerned. We had the best Dosa in Chennai and Pondicherry. There are two types of food you get mostly in South Udupi and Chettinadu. Udupi food is mostly vegetarian and Chettinadu is mostly Non-Vegetarian. It is spicy full of aroma and almost like North India. In our ten days stay there we had Chettinadu food almost everyday! We had the best Chettinadu food there!( more on Restaurant tip)
MY WIFE AND DAUGHTER IN FRONT OF THE MUSEUM
- Pros:COSMOPOLITAN CITY.
- Cons:LANGUAGE PROBLEM IN COMMUTING THE CITY.
Bathing at Marina Beach is not at all advisable as it is very rough not safe enough for taking a swim. Many people die... more travel advice
Since I am a foodie, I always search for better options. Many people think or believe that in South India you get only... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Chennai (Madras) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chennai Revisited"
- "CHENNAI ( MADRAS)- GATEWAY OF SOUTH INDIA."
- "Heylo Chennai"
- "Madras-Cultural capital of India."
- "Chennai (Madras)"
- "Cheers Chennai"
- "Chennai - Conservative yet Modern"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chennai (Madras)
- Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
- Transportation in Chennai (Madras)
- Nightlife in Chennai (Madras)
- Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
- Shopping in Chennai (Madras)
- Warnings and Dangers in Chennai (Madras)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chennai (Madras)
- 17 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Chennai (Madras)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chennai (Madras)
- Posted in Travel Srinagar Forum "Re: Visit Kashmere in mid-march,..."
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Chennai (Madras) tips
- Wrote a Review Sea Bathing at Marina Beach. in Chennai (Madras) Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sea Bathing at Marina Beach."
- updated a Chennai (Madras) Travel Page "CHENNAI ( MADRAS)- GATEWAY OF SOUTH INDIA."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 214 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues