"Pahalgam : The Village of Shepherds." Pahalgam by goutammitra
Pahalgam Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 63 photos
Pahalgam means the village of Shepherds. Pahalgam, in Kashmir's Anantnag district, is about 98 km from the state capital of Srinagar. It is a quaint little village sitting on the banks of river Lidde. Untouched by urban development, Pahalgam is an angler's paradise, promising to please even an amateur with a rainbow trout. The thick pine and cedar forests around this hill town provide a natural habitat for the large brown bear. Pahalgam has a golf course at 2400 metres above sea level. For adventure-seekers, camping equipment, ponies and skiing equipment are easily available. Kolahoi is a popular destination for trekkers via Aru, a fascinating meadow. Pahalgam is also the base camp for pilgrims proceeding to the shrine of Lord Shiva at Amarnath.
Situated at the confluence of the streams flowing from Sheshnag Lake and the Lidder river, Pahalgam (2,130 m) was once a humble shepherd's village with breathtaking views. Now it is Kashmir's premier resort, cool even during the height of summer when the maximum temperature does not exceed 250C. A number of hotels and lodges cater to all preferences and budgets, from luxurious hotels to unpretentious trekkers' lodges.
The most beautiful of these is the huge, undulating meadow of Baisaran, surrounded by thickly wooded forests of pine. Hajan, on the way to Chandanwari, is an idyllic spot for a picnic. Filmgoers will recognize it instantly as it has been the location of several movie scenes. Pahalgam has within it no fewer than eight tiny villages, one of which is Mamal. There is a Shiva temple here, generally considered to be Kashmir's oldest existing temple,
dating to the 5th century.
Pahalgam is an ideal place for an adventure sports enthusiast. It offers wonderful treks, skiing, mountaineering and camping sites. Facilities for roller-skating, table tennis, badminton and cards are available at the Pahalgam Club. One can take a temporary membership at the Pahalgam natural golf course.
Pahalgam is the base camp for pilgrims going to Amarnath Cave.
HOW TO REACH
By Air - The nearest Airport is in Srinagar
By Rail - The nearest rail head is at Jammu Tawi
By Road - Bus service is available from Srinagar and Anantnag. Taxis can be hired from Srinagar at pre-fixed rates. The J&K Road Transport Corporation runs daily sight seeing tours from Srinagar. Assistance is available at Tourist Reception Centre, Srinagar.
WHEN TO GO
The best time to visit Pahalgam is during summers between May to September.
WHAT TO SEE
Chandanwari (16km: 2,923m) - It is famous for its snow bridge.
goutammitra's Related Pages
Pahalgam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pahalgam : The Village of Shepherds."
- "Hotel Brown Palace Pahalgam"
- "Gateway to the Himalayas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pahalgam
- 6 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Pahalgam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pahalgam
Photos in PahalgamSee All Photos (32)
Videos in PahalgamSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 214 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues