"RISHIKESH- THE HOME OF SAGE RAIBHYA RISHI!!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rishikesh by goutammitra
Rishikesh Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 309 photos
According to mythology, the sage Raibhya Rishi sat on the banks of the Ganga and performed severe penance. He was rewarded when the lord appeared in the form of Rishikesh, thus giving the place its present name. Over the ages, saints have meditated at this peaceful spot with the soaring mountains looking down and the sacred Ganga flowing beside. One of the most prominent religious leaders in modern times, Adi Shankaracharya, traversed this land in the 9th century AD. The Shankaracharya’s pilgrimage into the hills was later codified into the great pilgrim circuit, and gave a heightened sense of sacredness to this land of the gods. Ever since, Rishikesh has been the stepping stone and the first destination on a list of holy shrines and sites stretching across the lofty Himalayas.
We visited this place on 25th January 2007. Can you notice our Holy Ganges has clear Bluish Green water??? Yes the Ganges here is in the purest form. There after where ever it crosses any city it also takes the dirt and filth with it. It has happened because of lot of Industry, and cities situated on the bank of the Ganges download their filth and waste in the Ganges. But over the last several years it has reduced a lot because of the Ganges action comittee started by Late Prime Minister Mr.Rajiv Gandhi. People live in the several thousand kilometer stretch of the Ganges are now more Responsible and Much More aware than before. I
I had the opportunity to travel almost all the place and cities situated in the stretch of the Ganges from Gangotri( starting point of The Ganges) to Ganga Sagar near our very own Diamond Harbour ( Near Kolkata). I have visited Gangotri, Joshimath, Rishikesh, Haridwar, Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Buxar, Patna( I stayed there for 18 yesrs and had education), Bhagalpur, Sahibganj( Had my schooling at St.Xaviers'), Rajmahal ( We have our home there), Murshidabad, Nadia, Krishnanagar and of Course Kolkata, Diamond Harbour, Sagar Island and Ganga Sagar, where it meets the Indian Ocean.
Rishikesh is just 24 Kms from Haridwar. Located in the laps of lower Himalayas, this place is considered to be the access point of three other pilgrim places of Badrinath - Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri the four great places which combine to make Chardham . Rishikesh is surrounded by scenic beauty of the hills on three sides with Holy Ganga flowing through it.
The whole place is considered to be sacred as it is believed that meditation at this place leads to attainment of salvation. There are many temples-some ancient, some new along the river Ganges. The River side is dotted by the ashrams of Sadhus and sages. Rishikesh is also famous for ashrams teaching Yoga.
In the 60's even the Beatles could not miss the charm of Rishikesh and they came here to meet their Guru. The Ganga, which is known for its strong currents and fierce behaviour up stream, suddenly becomes slow and gracious here. At Rishikesh, Ganga leaves the mountains and joins the plains for her long journey.
Rishikesh is not only an attraction for pilgrims but it also attracts foreigners who want to know about Hinduism, who want to spend some time close to the Lord, people who love rafting come here to conquer the rapids of Ganga. Rishikesh is also an ideal base camp for trekking in the nearby Himalayas.
- Pros:Screne atmosphere!!
We came across this man disgused as our Monkey God Hanuman, who was friend and deciple of Lord Rama. For a small sum... more travel advice
This coffee corner offers breath taking view of the Ganges along with coffee, tea and they have German Bakery too. This... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Rishikesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEACHES ON THE GANGA AT RISHIKESH"
- "RISHIKESH- THE HOME OF SAGE RAIBHYA RISHI!!!!"
- "The Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas"
- "Rishikesh(Under construction)"
- "Vashisht Guha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rishikesh
- Hotels in Rishikesh
- Transportation in Rishikesh
- Nightlife in Rishikesh
- Restaurants in Rishikesh
- Shopping in Rishikesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Rishikesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rishikesh
- 10 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Rishikesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rishikesh
- Posted in Travel Hyderabad Forum "Re: safe for students"
- Commented on one of verasingh's Rishikesh travel pages
- updated a Rishikesh Travel Page "RISHIKESH- THE HOME OF SAGE RAIBHYA RISHI!!!!"
- Wrote a Review The Monkey God of Rishikesh. in Rishikesh Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Monkey God of Rishikesh."
Photos in RishikeshSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 215 reviews, 1074 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues