"SANCHI STUPA" Sanchi by goutammitra
Sanchi Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 46 photos
A Stupa is a dome like structure made of stone or bricks masonry, built to commemorate a Sacred Spot, a particular event or to enshrine the Relics of Buddha or those of a Buddhist Saint. Emperor Ashoka is credited to have built as many as 84000 Stupas all over India, but most of them have come to ruin due to age and invasion from the Moslem invaders. Even the gateways of Sanchi Stupa have been carried away by Invaders like Mahmood Gazni in 10th Century.
The Great Stupa of Sanchi near Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh is believed to have been originally built in the 3rd century B.C. by Ashoka the great to enshrine the Relics of Buddha. Later it was enlarged during Sanga period.
The hotel is well located in the foothills of the Sanchi Stupa. Has Airconditioned accomodation and ample parking place.... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Sanchi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SANCHI STUPA"
- "Pictures of Sanchi"
- "the buddhist mounds"
- "Sanchi - Madhya Pradesh"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanchi
- 2 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Sanchi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanchi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 214 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues