"Srinagar" Top 5 Page for this destination Srinagar by goutammitra

Srinagar Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 575 photos

Srinagar : The most beautiful place in Kashmir!

I have spent about 10 days in Srinagar in 1977 at Amirakadal ( Near Lal Chowk) in a houseboat and also two nights in a houseboat at Dal Lake. So many things have changed since then, that love, warmth is now missing. The city is now has become a concrete jungle with hundreds of security men all around. The last time I visited here in 1977, the beautiful houses were made of wood, the air was full of smell of Chinar tree, people were very very friendly, food were cheap, climate was cool and there was smiles on faces. However, it is still very beautiful, many of the people are still very warm and love the tourist.

Srinagar is the summer seasonal capital of Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated in Kashmir Valley and lies on the banks of the Jhelum River, a tributary of the Indus. It is one of the largest cities in India not to have a Hindu majority.The city is famous for its gardens, lakes and houseboats. It is also known for traditional Kashmiri handicrafts and dry fruits. It is also the headquarters of Srinagar district.

• Intro Updated Dec 6, 2011

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Wonderful page Goutam! Thank you for the tour of Kashmir, I really enjoyed it and you have beautiful photos too!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Yes, we certainly did, but we missed out one full and half day as our plane could not land! But on second day we got bonus of free travelling over Greater Himalayas! I could capture K2!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Quite a nice place to see some sites and culture. The history of the area is wonderful

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Goutamda, My mom used to say stories about this place, She visited Kashmir way back in 70's. I hope I will make it someday..right now I am concentrating on Destination in Tamilnadu.
    Good reviews rated 5/5...

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM

we hear little of Kashmir by way of tourism. your tips came as a pleasant surprise. nice job indeed.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Lovely page Goutram - it's the first time I've stumbled across one of your pages, and I enjoyed the 'virtual tour'!
    I particularly enjoyed the tips about the cricket bats and saffron ...
    Regards
    Cathy

goutammitra

“Thanks Daniel & Giampiero for the Tee Shirt!”

Badges & Stats in Srinagar

Have you been to Srinagar?

Latest Activity in Srinagar