"VISHAKHAPATTNAM: An Industrial City Made Touristy!" Vishakhapatnam by goutammitra
Vishakhapatnam Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 93 photos
Visakhapatnam , (popularly known as Vizag) is a port city on the southeast coast of India. With a population of 1,730,520, it is the second largest city in the state of Andhra Pradesh (after Hyderabad) and the third largest city on the east coast (after Chennai and Kolkata). Visakhapatnam is located 625 kilometres (388 mi) east of the state capital, Hyderabad and 890 kms from Kolkata. The city is home to several state-owned heavy industries and a steel plant; it is one of India's largest seaports and has the country's oldest shipyard. Visakhapatnam has the only natural harbour on the east coast of India.
The city was named after Visakha, the Hindu god of valour. It is nestled among the hills of the Eastern Ghats and faces the Bay of Bengal on the east. Visakhapatnam is the administrative headquarters of Visakhapatnam district and headquarters of the Eastern Naval Command of the Indian Navy. Visakhapatnam has been nicknamed The City of Destiny and, more recently, the Goa of the East Coast. Like Goa, it has attractive beaches, laterite hillocks and a pleasing landscape. It is also a focus of urban and tourist development.
In addition to being an east-coast seaport, Visakhapatnam is an industrial city. Part of the city is known by its colonial British name, Waltair; during the colonial era, the city's hub was the Waltair railway station and the surrounding part of the city is still called Waltair.
- Pros:The very beautiful city emerging as IT Centre
- Cons:Narrow Roads
Some glimpses of the studio. Dr. Ramanaidu has several film studios at various locations of India. His , Suresh... more travel advice
goutammitra's Related Pages
Vishakhapatnam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Here, where the tourists aren't you'll enjoy India"
- "Welcome to the South West Coast of India"
- "VISHAKHAPATTNAM: An Industrial City Made Touristy!"
- "A Brief view into local life."
- "Ramkrishna Beach (R.K. Beach)"
- "tourist companionship"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vishakhapatnam
- Hotels in Vishakhapatnam
- Transportation in Vishakhapatnam
- Restaurants in Vishakhapatnam
- Shopping in Vishakhapatnam
- Warnings and Dangers in Vishakhapatnam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vishakhapatnam
- 9 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Vishakhapatnam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vishakhapatnam
- Posted in Travel Srinagar Forum "Re: Visit Kashmere in mid-march,..."
- Wrote a Review The Naval Museum : Vishakha Museum in Vishakhapatnam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Naval Museum : Vishakha Museum"
- Commented on one of ChadSteve1975's Vishakhapatnam tips
- created a Vishakhapatnam Travel Page "VISHAKHAPATTNAM: An Industrial City Made Touristy!"
Photos in VishakhapatnamSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 214 reviews, 1077 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 64 reviews, 329 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gangtok Intro, 66 reviews, 306 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 273 photos
- Cairo Intro, 44 reviews, 224 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puri Intro, 41 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gosaba Intro, 32 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 41 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 32 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues