"The Big, Flat, Empty North" Oulu by baronedivandastad
Oulu Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,242 photos
The Oulu region is big, flat and empty. It constitutes the large part of Pohjois-Pohjanmaa, and stretches from the Northeastern tip of the Gulf of Bothnia all the way inland until the Russian border.
Most of it is covered by forest and its flatness (especially on the western side) can be unnerving, but I believe that is its most fascinating aspect. The region actually emerged from the sea not so long ago (in geological terms).
In the Oulu region, people are different than the rest of Finland. They speak with an accent that everyone else thinks is funny, and tend to be more social and even more down to earth than other Finns. Not that there's many of them though: the population recently rose to just above 370 thousand, thus edging over the amazing density of 10 inhabitants per square km! Half of these live in Oulu (the capital city) making the rest even more empty-feeling.
Welcome to the Big, Flat, Empty North.
- Pros:Large, wild, empty
- Cons:A bit chilly sometimes
baronedivandastad's Related Pages
Oulu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oulu- my home town"
- "Fat Policeman City"
- "Oulu, Finland"
- "The Big, Flat, Empty North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oulu
- Hotels in Oulu
- Transportation in Oulu
- Nightlife in Oulu
- Restaurants in Oulu
- Shopping in Oulu
- Warnings and Dangers in Oulu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oulu
- 7 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Oulu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oulu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 39 reviews, 33 photos
- Rome Intro, 35 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catania Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 18 reviews, 15 photos
- Milan Intro, 18 reviews, 11 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteriggioni Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Rieti Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Lago di Bracciano Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Naples Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos