"Castle - under siege" Top 5 Page for this destination Monteriggioni by baronedivandastad
Monteriggioni Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 115 photos
This little castle was built in the early 1200 and was so important to deserve a mention in Dante's comedies as the town that crowns itself with towers.
Given its strategic position, it's been under siege practically forever until the end of the war between Florence and Siena in 1555. The siege continues today in terms of Central European and American tourist vans that invade it with their troops from June to September.
It still is acceptable during cold and wet winter nights, when it retains its exquisite medieval atmosphere and witnesses no-one in sandals sipping cappuccino at 3 pm.
- Pros:Lovely, well kept medieval castle
- Cons:The swarms of tourists in the summer.
- In a nutshell:Go there in November.
If you bother to hover around the side streets of Monteriggioni, you'll notice this house (it's built of bricks of... more travel advice
At around 800 metres, the Monte Maggio (May Mountain) is the tallest hill around Siena, and can be seen from everywhere,... more travel advice
baronedivandastad's Related Pages
Monteriggioni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castle - under siege"
- "A Medieval Fortress"
- "A Walled City . . . with 14 towers"
- "Monteriggioni - Small is beautiful"
- "What's all the fuss about?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monteriggioni
- Hotels in Monteriggioni
- Restaurants in Monteriggioni
- Warnings and Dangers in Monteriggioni
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rice Lake Hotels
- Chennai (Madras)
- Acadia National Park Hotels
- Idaho Falls
- Sai Kung
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Fort Yargo State Park Hotels
- Sankt Goar
- Candijay Hotels
- Sebago Lake State Park Hotels
- Hammocks Beach State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Monteriggioni
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Monteriggioni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monteriggioni
- Posted in Travel Iran Forum "RE: RE: Visa into Iran from..."
- Commented on one of Cristian_Uluru's Monteriggioni travel pages
- Wrote a Review Oldest house in Monteriggioni in Monteriggioni Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mountain of martyrs"
- updated a Monteriggioni Travel Page "Castle - under siege"
Photos in MonteriggioniSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh Intro, 39 reviews, 33 photos
- Rome Intro, 35 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catania Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 18 reviews, 15 photos
- Milan Intro, 18 reviews, 11 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteriggioni Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Rieti Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Lago di Bracciano Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Naples Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos