"19 Fascinating days in Iran" Top 5 Page for this destination Iran by suvanki

Iran Travel Guide: 2,871 reviews and 10,239 photos

Thinking of all my Friends, their families and Friends in Iran at this difficult time-

Iran had been near the top of my list of 'Must Sees' for a long time.
In 2006 I had booked a tour through Exodus travel, but got 'cold feet' due to George Dubbya spouting off about Iran, and 'financial embarrassment'!- I transferred my deposit to a trip to Morocco instead.

2007- Iran was still calling!!! - I'd checked out travel companies, and found a tour that suited me (far better than my earlier itinerary) This was to be a 19 day trip in May/ June 08, including camping with different nomad tribes.

I booked my trip through 'Persian Voyages' and found them to be excellent- Nasrin was so helpful in organising my trip, and offering reassurance when I had any concerns. It was like arranging a trip with a friend, rather than a travel company!

As my departure date arrived, I was pleased to learn that I was the only member of the tour- so I had a guide/driver all to myself.

This suited me as I had the flexibility of individual travel, with all the hassle of arranging transport, hotels, restaurants and sightseeing being taken care of - giving me the chance to cram in as much as possible during my visit.

Also, there wasn't the dread of 'group travel' where there's often 1 or 2 self appointed leaders, who 'take over the trip' as I've experienced previously.

Please click here for Nomadic and Sightseeing Tour details My trip was slightly different from the listed itinerary and didn't include Yazd.

I think that my Iran trip will be a long VT Project! I've made a start though!

I'm intending to write my Iran Things to do tips in date and time order. (so it might be quite a while before I get to my Shiraz and Esfahan tips)

I'm enjoying writing my tips, as memories keep flooding back, while I sort through my photos and hastily scribbled notes.

I hope you enjoy reading about my trip, and that it either brings back memories (for those who've visited some of the same places), or inspires you to want to visit this fascinating and unique country.

I'm afraid that some of my tips might be a bit inaccurate, either because I've misheard my guide, or his translation/ info was incorrect.

Some place names etc have alternative spellings, where possible I have listed these.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you spot any big bloopers, or where I've asked for info about places .

Oh, and feel free to rate any tips you find useful!

I've added these links for those who want to skip to a certain place quickly, but if you start at the beginning, it's a time order account of my trip.

Page 1 Tehran, Qazvin, Manjil, Bandar-e-Anzali to Masuleh
Page 2 Masuleh, Bandar-e-Anzali, Ardebil, Fakhrabad, Mount Sabalan
Page 3 Lahrood, Mount Sabalan, Shabil, Tabriz
Page 4 Tabriz, Osku, Ispanjan Village, Kandovan, Maraqeh
Page 5 Maraqeh Takab Zendan-e-Soleiman Takht-e-Soleiman Bijar Ali Sadr Caves Hamadan

Below are links to some of the Pages of places I've visited, with more info and photos.
Tehran

Qazvin

Masuleh

Bandar-e-Anzali (under construction)

• Pros:Fascinating Country, Friendly locals, low key tourism, No Mc Donalds!!!
  • Cons:Traffic in the cities-the unleaded petrol fumes had me choking and my eyes stinging
  • In a nutshell:It exceeded my expectations-so many unexpected pleasant surprises!
  • Last visit to Iran: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• MITNIC's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I have to read all of it and very careful and even twice... I hope to manage a visit this (2014) year...

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Dec 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Hi Thanks for visiting my Iran page ( and for ratings)? Much Appreciated!
      I hope that you get to visit this amazing country in the near future!
      Looking forward to hearing all about it!
      Best Wishes
      Sue

• MITNIC's Profile Photo
      Dec 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM

My Best Wishes for 2014 to you too! That is rating for, to use it... ;)

• fkompani's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Oh no, what about Shiraz? You cannot just stop writing. :(

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Back to read the rest of this wonderful page :-) Like you I love the photo of the man cracking walnuts, but there are so many other excellent ones too. So enjoyed reading your engrossing tips too. Please tell me when you add more!

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Super Sue... you did Iran... I have just seen your page... so good...

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 4:37 PM

This is a very detailed interesting description of iran. thanks.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Absolutely fascinating write-up Sue! Really must have been an amazing trip!

• Britannia2's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Have spent a pleasant evening reading these pages - really interesting. Colin

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Great infos n photos. thanks for sharing. Best wishes from Istanbul. Bora

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Hello, Sue! Thanks for your interesting stories! They are wonderful! Nice experience!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Your tips in Iran are great! I wanted to go there someday!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Iran