"Bakewell, home of the pudding! (NOT the tart!!)" Top 5 Page for this destination Bakewell by suvanki
Bakewell Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 228 photos
Situated on the banks of the River Wye (one of Englands finest trout rivers) and surrounded by the stunning scenery of Derbyshires dales and White Peak, Bakewell is ideally located.
The weekly market on Mondays, and the busy livestock market attract crowds of local farmers, residents, and visitors from near and wide.
The first Wednesday and Thursday of August sees Bakewell swamped with even more visitors, as this is when the annual Bakewell Show is held.
Over 2 million people visit Bakewell each year.
Bakewell has been an important Market town since late Saxon times, drawing traders from the many Peakland villages and hamlets.
The first recorded fair was in 1254
Records show that warm and cold springs bubbled through the River Wyes meadows, and although this didn't appear to attract Roman settlers (as those of nearby Buxton), the settlement was named Badecan Wiellon ( The springs or wells of one called Badeca). However there is a Roman altar at nearby Haddon Hall
Gradually the settlement expanded, mainly around the church (Saxon evidence can still be seen today in the sculptures). A military camp was set up to protect the area from 'marauding Danes'
Edward the Confessor, proclaimed the area a royal hunting forest.
The Domesday book in 1086AD refers to Badequella, with its manor (a church, lead mine and 200 inhabitants)
being posessed by William the Conqueror.
By the 13th century a fine stone bridge comprising 5 arches spanned the villages ford.
The Peaklands wool traders brought further prosperity to the expanding town.
To be continued.........
- Pros:A typical Derbyshire market town. Scenic. Historic.
- Cons:Can get busy Saturday - Monday especially with traffic jams and crowds
- In a nutshell:A Good base for exploring the Peak National Park
Generations have enjoyed the seemingly innocent past time of 'feeding the ducks'. Parents taking their youngsters to the... more travel advice
Although this recipe is accredited to Mrs Greaves, it was her nameless maid that invented this dish. (Please see... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Bakewell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bakewell, Home Of The Pudding"
- "Baking in Bakewell"
- "Bakewell, home of the pudding! (NOT the tart!!)"
- "CROWN OF THE PEAK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bakewell
- Hotels in Bakewell
- Transportation in Bakewell
- Nightlife in Bakewell
- Restaurants in Bakewell
- Shopping in Bakewell
- Warnings and Dangers in Bakewell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bakewell
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Bakewell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bakewell
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: ARE SELFIE STICKS RUINING..."
- updated a Bakewell Travel Page "Bakewell, home of the pudding! (NOT the tart!!)"
- Commented on one of suvanki's Bakewell travel pages
- Wrote a Review Feeding The Ducks - Banned.. in Bakewell Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Feeding The Ducks - Banned.."
Photos in BakewellSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 170 reviews, 624 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos