"Barmouth" Barmouth by suvanki
Barmouth Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 135 photos
Barmouth (Abermaw in Welsh) is a popular, traditional seaside resort, located on the Welsh west coast, at the opening of the Mawddach estuary, and the edge of the mountainous Snowdonia National Park. It is 8 miles from the interesting town of Dolgellau, There is also a fishing harbour, sandy beaches and a mile long promenade, with a land train to 'take the strain'.
The railway station of Barmouth is bang in the centre of the town, which is one of the reasons that it is so popular, as holiday makers and day trippers/weekenders have easy access.
My first visit to Barmouth was on a wet Saturday afternoon in August 2010, during Myfanwes VT camping meet at Dolgamedd, near Dolgellau After exploring Dolgellau and Cymer Abbey, the rain was setting in. We decided to head 'to the coast'
Well although there were some pleasant places, such as the promenade and the views over the estuary, the centre of the town had some quite tacky places. The pub that we visited to escape the rain had a plethora of 'Warning Notices' which gave an indication of what the night life might be like!
I'd popped into a shop and missed sharing the sight of the inebriated woman falling into the gutter!
Fast Forward to August 2012 ...... Myfanwe, alyf1961, Gillybob and myself returned - This time, shaking off the rain clouds between Dolgamedd and Barmouth.
In 2010, Vicki had returned to Barmouth on the Monday after our camping weekend, and had enjoyed the area of town, near the mouth of the River Mawddach and Barmouth Bridge. She'd also spotted some nice restaurants where we could enjoy lunch.
- Pros:Traditional Seaside Town, Scenic location
- Cons:Has a tacky side to it
- In a nutshell:It's growing on me!
After crossing the wooden toll bridge between Dolgellau and Barmouth, we came across another wooden toll Bridge at... more travel advice
Next door to The Shipwreck Museum is 'The Round House' or Ty Crwn, which was built around 1834 Barmouth was a busy... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Barmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beauty and the Beast"
- "Barmouth - A windy afternoon at the seaside!"
- "VT Camping meet- Dolgellau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barmouth
- Hotels in Barmouth
- Transportation in Barmouth
- Restaurants in Barmouth
- Shopping in Barmouth
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Barmouth
- 7 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Barmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barmouth
Photos in BarmouthSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 621 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 102 reviews, 594 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 155 reviews, 517 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 38 reviews, 371 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (155)
Latest Barmouth hotel reviews
- Morwendon Guest House
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013