"Castleton" Top 5 Page for this destination Castleton by suvanki
Castleton Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 38 photos
Castleton is one of Derbyshires prettiest villages, and is a very popular spot all year round!
Visitors come here to enjoy the scenery, walking, eating and drinking at the many pubs, restaurants or tea rooms.
Castletons main attractions are its Caverns and Show caves, Peveril Castle, Mam Tor and its shops, which sell Blue John stone and a variety of local crafts.
Christmas in Castleton is a good time to visit, with its lights, and carol singing either in the Church, or down the caverns.
The village centre is a square, just off the main road, where the church, some attractive pubs, and the Youth Hostel are located.
Above the square, sitting on top of the hill is Peveril Castle. Below Castletons land are the Peak Cavern, and Cave Dale- a collapsed cavern, which offers good views of the castle, and is a great walk, through the deep and narrow 'walls'
- Pros:Pretty Derbyshire Village. Caverns and a Castle. Good base for walks/ sightseeing
- Cons:Can get busy at weekends.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit!
A day sack for carrying camera, guide book etc. Suitcase/rucksack if staying at one of the inns or Youth Hostel Walking... more travel advice
The castle that gives the village its' name. Originally a wooden defence, built in 1080, it was rebuilt in stone around... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Castleton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peaks and caves"
- "Picture postcard perfection"
- "Castleton, Derbyshire"
- "Castleton: Journey into heart of Peak District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castleton
- Nightlife in Castleton
- Restaurants in Castleton
- Warnings and Dangers in Castleton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castleton
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Castleton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castleton
Photos in CastletonSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 169 reviews, 621 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos