"Edwinstowe, The Heart of Sherwood Forest" Edwinstowe by suvanki
Edwinstowe Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 20 photos
This is where I go to relax and be looked after, it's where my parents live, and where I spent my teen years.
Edwinstowe is famous for its connection with Robin Hood, and attracts many visitors from all around the world, eager to see the Forest and the tree where he was alleged to have hidden. The Major Oak, is now cordoned off, for safety purposes, but it is still possible to get quite close. As children, my friends and I used to play in the tree, and try to climb it! ( No, Robin and Marion weren't my friends!)
The village Church of St Marys is where Robin and Marion were alleged to have married. (It's the place where I was married too)
It's quite a pleasant church to visit.
Edwinstowe, gains it name from King Edwin of Northumbria, who was killed in battle in AD632, and according to legend, was secretly buried in the forest.
Edwinstowe grew as a village, in the heart of Sherwood Forest. Agriculture and woodland crafts being the main industries.
The scenic forest, and the surrounding countryside of the Dukeries opened up to visitors in the 1840's with the arrival of rail travel. Visitors travelled by train to Worksop, then by horse brake to Edwinstowe. In 1896, Edwinstowe station opened, with a grand hotel, The Dukeries being built nearby, complete with ballroom, to accomodate the travellers.
Edwinstowe continued as a tourist and agricultural area, with coal mining adding to the income and increase in population around 1925, with the building of a colliery.
Although the mining industry has unfortunately declined , tourism (and agriculture/forestry) continue to bring revenue to the area.
Edwinstowe is also home to the world renowned Thoresby Colliery Brass Band, who play concerts in the village, and around the county at various venues and dates around the year.
In Edwinstowe village and the surrounding areas, there is plenty to keep you occupied, whatever your interests..
Walks /cycling/pony trekking in and around the forest, The Major Oak and Sherwood Forest Visitors centre, St Marys Church, Arts and Crafts centres and shops, Cricket, a small fun fair.
Centreparcs attracts many visitors to the area, situated on the outskirts of the village near Rufford Park and Abbey.
More recently, GoApe, (a high wire assault course) the Maize Maze at Thoresby and paintballing have provided even more to do for visitors.
Edwinstowe is situated in Sherwood Forest and The Dukeries.
Surrounded by other villages and the Parks of Rufford, Clumber, Thoresby and Newstead.
Forests, Fields and Coal mining.
Mansfield, Worksop, Retford and Newark are the nearest towns.
Nottingham and Sheffield are the nearest cities.
Lots of interesting villages nearby :-
Wellow (famous for its maypole and May Day celebrations),
Laxton (ancient farming system and Holocaust museum)
Mapplebeck (smallest pub)
Ompton (smallest chapel)
Kersall (telephone box- decorated with fresh flowers)
Budby (Penfold post box).
Ollerton (working Water Mill - and award winning tea rooms)
Eakring (oil wells! and old church)
to be continued.....
- Pros:Historical village , scenic, plenty to do and see!
- Cons:Can get congested in Summer months.
- In a nutshell:Robin Hood and lots more besides!
For some visitors to Sherwood Forest, there must be a point when they imagine THEY are Robin Hood! Some may just... more travel advice
This is the oldest Oak Tree in the forest. A Map dating around 1791, marks a tree called Major Rooke. Apparently Major... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Edwinstowe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Edwinstowe
- Hotels in Edwinstowe
- Nightlife in Edwinstowe
- Shopping in Edwinstowe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edwinstowe
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Edwinstowe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edwinstowe
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: OK, be honest ...."
- updated a Edwinstowe Travel Page "Edwinstowe, The Heart of Sherwood Forest"
- Commented on one of Bif75's Edwinstowe travel pages
- Wrote a Review Retail Therapy Heaven! in Edwinstowe Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Edwinstowe, The Heart of Sherwood Forest"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 157 reviews, 584 photos, 19 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos