"Haworth A step back in time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Haworth by suvanki
Haworth Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 278 photos
After enjoying our Halifax 'Fish Chips and Mushy Peas' weekend, it was great to be invited by Poons and Suet, to join them on a day out they'd planned to show Hansi and LoriPori more of the Yorkshire countryside. Together with Angiebabe, we arrived in Haworth, about 30 minutes from Halifax.
We'd already passed through Haworth on the Saturday on our steam train journey.
Haworth is famed for being the home of the Brontes. This brings in hoards of visitors each week, who come to see the Parsonage and other places connected with the literary family, as well as walking along the cobbled streets and visiting the quaint shops and tea rooms.
Luckily, our visit was on a Monday morning, so it wasn't busy.
Nestling at the edge of the Pennine Moors, Haworth is surrounded by stunning scenery.
The village of Haworth is situated on the eastern slope of the Pennines located close to the river Worth.
The name Haworth is said to originate from either "hedged enclosure" or "hawthorn enclosure"
Records are said to date back to 1209 when it was recorded as a settlement.
Haworth is 796.1 feet above sea level. There is a marker, recording this at the Church on Main St.
Lower down in the valley opposite the railway station at the corner of the Royal Oak pub another mark indicates the elevation is 556.4 feet above sea level
The difference of 240 feet, between the two datum mark, which are only half a mile apart, means that in parts, the gradient of the hill is about 1 in 10.
The Brontes arrived at Haworth on April 20th 1820, the procession of seven carts and one covered wagon led up the Main St (then known as Kirkgate) finishing at Haworth Parsonage, which was to be the family home
On 13th April 1867 the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (KWVR) was built connecting Haworth to Keighley. Today the line has working steam trains at the weekend and daily in the summer. Diesel trains also run along the line, so it's used by locals commuting to Keighley, or for shopping trips etc. as well as tourists, who enjoy riding on a steam train, end it's links with the Brontes and The Railway Children
During our 2010 VT Pork Pies and Mushy Peas meet, we visited Haworth again-arriving by train from Oxenhope, then departing for Keighley. We had time here to explore the church yard, and 'research the local hostelery' as well as do a spot of shopping.
Again, I visited in June 2011. Following our 'Carry on Camping weekend' at Triangle, Gillybob, alyf1961 and myself headed to Haworth, intending to see a performance by 400 roses-a tribal bellydancing group that we'd seen the previous year at the Rushbearing Festival in Sowerby Bridge, and to have a Sunday dinner. Somehow, we messed up and were in the wrong place at the wrong time, so missed them. We did enjoy a welcome cold drink at a pub near the station.
- Pros:Interesting, Historical and Scenic village - lots of photo opps!
- Cons:Can get crowded in summer and at weekends
- In a nutshell:Midweek out of season is the time to enjoy your visit here!
The village church is situated in the historic town of Haworth, West Yorkshire. The Bronte family members are buried... more travel advice
While Suet, Poons and Angiebabe were looking around the Parsonage Museum, I enjoyed wandering around the area. Hansi... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Haworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haworth - Victorian heritage on view"
- "Bronte Country"
- "Haworth A step back in time!"
- "Haworth not Howarth!"
- "THE VILLAGE OF HAWORTH"
- "Haworth - West Yorkshire"
- "Home of the Brontës"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haworth
- Hotels in Haworth
- Transportation in Haworth
- Restaurants in Haworth
- Shopping in Haworth
- Warnings and Dangers in Haworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haworth
- 10 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Haworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haworth
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where are you going this year..."
- Commented on one of leics's Haworth travel pages
- updated a Haworth Travel Page "Haworth A step back in time!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Haworth A step back in time!"
- Wrote a Review General Transport - useful names and numbers in Haworth Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 171 reviews, 626 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos