"Haworth A step back in time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Haworth by suvanki

Haworth Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 267 photos

Haworth

After enjoying our Halifax 'Fish Chips and Mushy Peas' weekend, it was great to be invited by Poons and Suet, to join them on a day out they'd planned to show Hansi and LoriPori more of the Yorkshire countryside. Together with Angiebabe, we arrived in Haworth, about 30 minutes from Halifax.

We'd already passed through Haworth on the Saturday on our steam train journey.

Haworth is famed for being the home of the Brontes. This brings in hoards of visitors each week, who come to see the Parsonage and other places connected with the literary family, as well as walking along the cobbled streets and visiting the quaint shops and tea rooms.

Luckily, our visit was on a Monday morning, so it wasn't busy.

Nestling at the edge of the Pennine Moors, Haworth is surrounded by stunning scenery.

The village of Haworth is situated on the eastern slope of the Pennines located close to the river Worth.

The name Haworth is said to originate from either "hedged enclosure" or "hawthorn enclosure"

Records are said to date back to 1209 when it was recorded as a settlement.

Haworth is 796.1 feet above sea level. There is a marker, recording this at the Church on Main St.
Lower down in the valley opposite the railway station at the corner of the Royal Oak pub another mark indicates the elevation is 556.4 feet above sea level
The difference of 240 feet, between the two datum mark, which are only half a mile apart, means that in parts, the gradient of the hill is about 1 in 10.

The Brontes arrived at Haworth on April 20th 1820, the procession of seven carts and one covered wagon led up the Main St (then known as Kirkgate) finishing at Haworth Parsonage, which was to be the family home

On 13th April 1867 the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (KWVR) was built connecting Haworth to Keighley. Today the line has working steam trains at the weekend and daily in the summer. Diesel trains also run along the line, so it's used by locals commuting to Keighley, or for shopping trips etc. as well as tourists, who enjoy riding on a steam train, end it's links with the Brontes and The Railway Children

During our 2010 VT Pork Pies and Mushy Peas meet, we visited Haworth again-arriving by train from Oxenhope, then departing for Keighley. We had time here to explore the church yard, and 'research the local hostelery' as well as do a spot of shopping.
Again, I visited in June 2011. Following our 'Carry on Camping weekend' at Triangle, Gillybob, alyf1961 and myself headed to Haworth, intending to see a performance by 400 roses-a tribal bellydancing group that we'd seen the previous year at the Rushbearing Festival in Sowerby Bridge, and to have a Sunday dinner. Somehow, we messed up and were in the wrong place at the wrong time, so missed them. We did enjoy a welcome cold drink at a pub near the station.

• Pros:Interesting, Historical and Scenic village - lots of photo opps!
  • Cons:Can get crowded in summer and at weekends
  • In a nutshell:Midweek out of season is the time to enjoy your visit here!
  • Last visit to Haworth: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2011

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2012 at 2:57 AM

So far I only visited York and Scarbourough and some more towns at the coastline of North Yorkshire. - From your pages I see that there are many more lovely small places to explore in the region.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Sep 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Hi Holger! Thanks for checking out my Harworth page (and for ratings?) Much appreciated!
      Harworth has a lot of charm - can get crowded at times, but worth a visit - just ask Kaspian / Hansi and Lori etc ;-)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Hi Sue, a great page! My guidebook does not say a lot about Haworth, so I am happy to get more information here. Very useful tips!
    I am really looking forward to visiting Haworth this summer, I have wanted to go there for a long time :-)

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

How did I miss that statue during my visit last year?! Is that of the sisters? I really enjoyed Haworth's relaxed and quiet atmosphere--felt like I could've stayed there for a week!

• Britannia2's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 5:17 AM

Nice pages Sue - I was there yesterday

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 6:18 PM

nice page of a really worthwhile photogenic place!enjoyed seeing the office on wheels (Sues wheels) again!Will have to get my act together and display a bit more on my Haworth version!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Yes Sue this is a nice page That was a lovely place

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Lovely little Haworth page Sue.

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Haworth

Have you been to Haworth?

Latest Activity in Haworth