"Richmond and Richmond Park" Richmond by suvanki

Richmond Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 895 photos

Richmond

I'm from Oooop North, so this is about 'the other' Richmond, (The North Yorkshire town is the original)!

Apparently Henry VII was so inspired by Richmond Castle in Yorkshire, that when his manor house in Sheen burnt down, he had a palace built on the same site in 1501, and named it Richmond Palace, subsequently the town that built up around it was known as Richmond. Henry also took the title 'Earl of Richmond'

Today, Richmond is an elegant, attractive town, located within the Borough of Richmond upon Thames, in the county of Greater London.

The town lays on the South banks of the River Thames, and is one of the rivers more scenic stretches. It flows for 21 miles, through the Borough linking Hampton Court Palace, Richmond town centre and Kew Gardens with Central London. Richmond Bridge, is the oldest bridge spanning the Thames.

Richmond is also connected to Central London by a network of railway services

National Rail South West Trains, The London Underground, District Line and
Overground trains on the North London Line.

to be continued....

Mini VT Meeting in Richmond

As I was in London for a couple of nights, I'd contacted Angiebabe, to see if she wanted to meet up. Her reply was that she had arranged to meet up with Diana (Diosh) and Celia.q on the Friday for a trip to Richmond Park, and did I want to tag along - Without hesitation - Yes! So there it was, a mini VT Meet.

I arrived in Richmond early, so that I could have a bit of a look around, before meeting up at the station. I didn't get too far (stopped off at Oxfam, and bought a jacket), but later Angiebabe and I had a wander along the Riverbank.
I wandered back to the station, and was surprised to bump into Angie, then Diana turned up, so we were all ready for when Celia arrived to take us to Richmond Park.
I was looking forward to seeing the park, as it would be my first visit there.
to be continued...

• Pros:Attractive historical town, open spaces
  • Cons:Traffic congestion near the train station
  • In a nutshell:A Great escape from the bustle of Central London
  • Last visit to Richmond: May 2009
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2009

• celia.q's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I like the shadow one, (photo 3) that's my hand indicating the studs that hold the path to the planet isn't it? ;) I like all your Richmond pics; I missed a good tea having to go home to my aged P. It'd great you had a good time at our mini VT meet.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 4:24 AM

He,he..re 'Pen Ponds'. Actually..'Leg of Mutton' pond is in another location in the park:-)My son, when a toddler, picked up a tick from the Park. We had to take him to hospital to have it removed as the head has to be taken out, whole!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 7:30 AM

As usual youve wasted no time....!and as usual an excellent start! what a stunning day eh!!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Hi Sue, your restaurant tip has made me hungry now!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond