"Richmond and Richmond Park" Richmond by suvanki
Richmond Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 895 photos
I'm from Oooop North, so this is about 'the other' Richmond, (The North Yorkshire town is the original)!
Apparently Henry VII was so inspired by Richmond Castle in Yorkshire, that when his manor house in Sheen burnt down, he had a palace built on the same site in 1501, and named it Richmond Palace, subsequently the town that built up around it was known as Richmond. Henry also took the title 'Earl of Richmond'
Today, Richmond is an elegant, attractive town, located within the Borough of Richmond upon Thames, in the county of Greater London.
The town lays on the South banks of the River Thames, and is one of the rivers more scenic stretches. It flows for 21 miles, through the Borough linking Hampton Court Palace, Richmond town centre and Kew Gardens with Central London. Richmond Bridge, is the oldest bridge spanning the Thames.
Richmond is also connected to Central London by a network of railway services
National Rail South West Trains, The London Underground, District Line and
Overground trains on the North London Line.
to be continued....
As I was in London for a couple of nights, I'd contacted Angiebabe, to see if she wanted to meet up. Her reply was that she had arranged to meet up with Diana (Diosh) and Celia.q on the Friday for a trip to Richmond Park, and did I want to tag along - Without hesitation - Yes! So there it was, a mini VT Meet.
I arrived in Richmond early, so that I could have a bit of a look around, before meeting up at the station. I didn't get too far (stopped off at Oxfam, and bought a jacket), but later Angiebabe and I had a wander along the Riverbank.
I wandered back to the station, and was surprised to bump into Angie, then Diana turned up, so we were all ready for when Celia arrived to take us to Richmond Park.
I was looking forward to seeing the park, as it would be my first visit there.
to be continued...
- Pros:Attractive historical town, open spaces
- Cons:Traffic congestion near the train station
- In a nutshell:A Great escape from the bustle of Central London
Costa Coffee is one of those chain of coffee shops seen in every High Street, shopping Mall in the UK, and beyond. Not... more travel advice
Apparently the best time to visit the Isabella Plantation is during April and May - Well it was the 1st of May when we... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UPMARKET SUBURB BY THE THAMES"
- "Richmond ,sanctuary from the City"
- "Quest for the Ultimate Cupcake"
- "My part of London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Nightlife in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- Warnings and Dangers in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 12 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 165 reviews, 611 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos