"Howth - 'The finest view west of Naples'" Top 5 Page for this destination Howth by suvanki

Howth Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 587 photos

Howth is Magic!

Howth is pronounced as in Both. It is known as Binn Eadair in Gaelic -(which you'll be only too aware of if you arrive here by DART from Dublin, as "This train is for Howth/ Binn Eadair" is announced every few minutes)

It is an atmospheric working fishing village (and suburb of Dublin ) situated on the scenic Howth Peninsula, just 10 miles north of Dublin city center and 5 miles from Dublin airport.

Howth was originally an island. Then the isthmus at Sutton Cross joined Howth to the mainland forming Howth Peninsula.

The Howth Peninsula is considered to have some of the finest scenery in Ireland with its magnificent panoramas over Dublin Bay.

'The finest view west of Naples' ­ is how H.G. Wells described the scene he saw, from the Ben of Howth looking southward along Ireland's east coast.

Howth comes from the Norse hofuth meaning a head which the Danes christened the area.

Binn Eadair is its earlier gaelic name, which translates as the hill of Edar. He was chieftain of The Tuatha De Danaan - Ireland's legendary people.

Howth tourist office blurb, as well as promoting the slogan "Howth is Magic", describes Howth as being a sleepy fishing village by day, but at night it is a bustling resort reminiscent of St. Tropez! Hmmmm - Think someones been kissing the Blarney Stone!!

Visitors come to Howth from all around the world, many as a side trip from Dublin, to experience the seaside and its scenery. At weekends, many Dubliners escape the city and head here, as generations have done before them, to relax and enjoy the clean sea air.

I'd first visited Howth about 10 years ago for a few hours during a weekend in Dublin, and had hoped to return one day.

So, taking advantage of a Ryanair cheapo flight, I decided to fly to Dublin for the day, I caught the DART, stopping off at Sutton for a couple of hours, (mainly to visit Phil Lynotts grave) and arrived around mid-day at Howth station.

I spent a very pleasant few hours here, enjoying the sunshine (though being March, there was still a nip in the air) as I wandered around.

First stop was the harbour, where there was plenty to see. A band of musicians were playing here - not as you might expect- traditional Irish folk tunes, but a Latin American type quartet, consisting of an accordionist, saxophonist, trumpeter and one shaking a tambourine around. It added to the atmosphere. (and the accompanying jangle of the yacht masts blowing about in the wind). A group of kayakers, were being put through their paces by a couple of instructors.
From the harbour you can enjoy some of the beautiful scenery - looking out to sea, and to Irelands Eye and across Dublin Bay.

I've just downloaded a video of the views around the harbour - it's a bit shaky as it was quite breezy there - as you'll hear.

I also enjoyed visiting the Church of The Assumption - lovely stained glass windows and carvings of the 14 Stations of the Cross by the Frank Mayer company of Munich. I didn't realise at the time, that this was where Phil Lynotts funeral was held - apparently he used to attend Mass here with his 2 daughters. Also, one of my elderly neighbours was married here.

Other hi lights were enjoying a seafood chowder, while being mesmorised by the seals bobbing and swimming about the harbour, and of course a pint of Guinness in The Bloody Stream pub, before catching the train back to Dublin.

July 2009, and I was back in Howth - I'd booked 3 nights in Dublin, and was looking forward to another day in this special place. When I'd booked my flight, I was expecting to enjoy some sunshine, maybe walking on the coast path.
Nearer departure, the weather forcast was for Heavy rain- for once the forcast was 'spot on'! I'd already got soaked in Dublin during the weekend, this time I was to get drenched- and found out that my waterproof jacket wasn't upto Howths pecipitation!

Well, I still enjoyed my visit- I got to try some new restaurants, and found a nice food shop. As well as re-visiting The Church of The Assumption, I took sanctuary in The Bloody Stream, where I was pleased to find a blazing log fire (yes in July) and by the time I left I was dry- (on the outside - my insides were a-slosh with Guinness!) I had a 'First' here too- My first raw Oyster - yes, I'll be back for more!

October 16/17th Five of us visit Howth and Dublin during a 24 hour visit- again courtesy of a cheap Ryanair Flight. Getting up at 03.00hours to catch the 06.30 flight to Dublin was well worth it, when we arrived to the sunrise views.

March 27-28th 2011 I returned -and I stayed overnight in Howth! My room at the Deer Park Hotel had a stunning view to Irelands Eye. I got to see some new sights - Howth Castle, The Summit and enjoyed a short walk onto the beach at dusk. Enjoyed morning coffee at The Brass Monkey in the sunshine. The weather was kind this time!
October 2011 I arrived here after walking from Sutton (visited Phil Lynotts grave there again) It was quite windy, so decided not to do the lower coastal path, instead stuck to the road, and called in at The Summit Pub en route

• Pros:Scenic atmospheric Great seafood
  • Cons:Should imagine it can get very crowded during summer weekends
  • In a nutshell:A Magical place whatever the weather!
  • Last visit to Howth: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Hi Sue, I’ve learned a lot about Howth from reading your Things to Do tips. I never knew that the opening lines of Finnegan’s Wake were printed on the old Irish £10 notes!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Oct 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Hi Don! Thank You for dropping by my Howth page and for your kind comments ( and ratings)? Much appreciated

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Oct 24, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Yes, those were also my ratings. Thanks for pointing out that Howth rhymes with both. I never would have guessed that.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Sue, very comprehensive page with brilliant photos of Howth. I also once visited this gorgeous seaside town on a side trip by DART from Dublin.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Just been reading your Howth restaurant tips - now I'm lusting for chowder! Gillybob greetings

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2011 at 2:16 AM

We also visit Howth ...by the DART when in Dublin...also go south to Wexford. M

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Thanks for your nice postcard! A great place to have a pint of medicine or two ;-) I like this seaside place a real change from my mountain view. Take care.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM

What an informative page! I visited Howth while staying in Dublin, but can see now how much I missed. Well done!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Nice informative page, Sue! We just got back from Dublin and spent a wonderful afternoon in Howth - we walked around town and then up to the castle and rhododendron gardens, it was beautiful!

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 9:22 AM

How lovely! I've been to Howth and had a very unforgettable stay there whilst visiting Dublin. Thanks for the tip!

suvanki Visits Here Frequently!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Howth