"Sutton" Sutton by suvanki
Sutton Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 22 photos
I'd hoped to visit Sutton for quite a while, and finally got my chance in March 2009, when I flew to Dublin for a day trip, and caught the DART there, before heading off to Howth.
Why was I so keen to visit?
My main reason was to visit the grave of Phil Lynott- the onetime lead singer of Thin Lizzy. He was my idol during my teenage years and beyond! I got to see Thin Lizzy 7 times in concert.
I'd also heard that Sutton was a quiet coastal village.
Well, I did like Sutton, and its dramatic skies and views across the bay to Dublin - 'The City' Although I was only here for a couple of hours, I got to walk around quite a bit.
2010 - I returned to Sutton for another short visit during a weekend in Dublin with Mr B, who was also a big Thin Lizzy fan, again, our reason was to visit St Fintans Cemetery, before walking to Howth over the summit- well worth it for the views.
2015 - Looking for accommodation during a mini VT Dublin break, with the intention of exploring the coastal towns and villages, it was apparent that we would get better value by staying outside Dublin City - The Marine Hotel fitted the bill - a few minutes walk from the DART, sea views and a friendly and comfortable place to stay. I also got the chance to explore more of Sutton, and of course visited Phil Lynotts grave.
Sutton (Cill Fhionntáin) is about 12km from Dublin. I travelled there by the DART. (it's easily accessible by road or bus route 31 too).
I headed first for the church of St Fintans, expecting to find the cemetery there, but eventually found out that it was about a mile away, up a slight hill.
I finally found Phils grave, and spent about 5 minutes there - looking at the offerings and paying my respects to my teen hero.
Then it was back to the station and the train to Howth.
- Pros:A Quiet seaside town.
- Cons:Didn't stay here long enough to find any
- In a nutshell:The final resting place of Phil Lynott.
I booked this twin room through Booking.com, due to price (259 euros for twin room and full breakfast for 3 nights in... more travel advice
From about 1973, I was a Thin Lizzy fan (after hearing their version of Whiskey in the Jar) and had a huge crush on... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Sutton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sutton
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Sutton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sutton
Photos in SuttonSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 171 reviews, 629 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos