"Sutton" Sutton by suvanki

Sutton Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 13 photos

Sutton

I'd hoped to visit Sutton for quite a while, and finally got my chance in March 2009, when I flew to Dublin for a day trip, and caught the DART there, before heading off to Howth.

Why was I so keen to visit?

My main reason was to visit the grave of Phil Lynott- the onetime lead singer of Thin Lizzy. He was my idol during my teenage years and beyond! I got to see Thin Lizzy 7 times in concert.

I'd also heard that Sutton was a quiet coastal village.

Well, I did like Sutton, and its dramatic skies and views across the bay to Dublin - 'The City' Although I was only here for a couple of hours, I got to walk around quite a bit.

Sutton (Cill Fhionntáin)

Sutton (Cill Fhionntáin) is about 12km from Dublin. I travelled there by the DART. (it's easily accessible by road or bus route 31 too).

I headed first for the church of St Fintans, expecting to find the cemetery there, but eventually found out that it was about a mile away, up a slight hill.
I finally found Phils grave, and spent about 5 minutes there - looking at the offerings and paying my respects to my teen hero.
Then it was back to the station and the train to Howth.

• Pros:A Quiet seaside town.
  • Cons:Didn't stay here long enough to find any
  • In a nutshell:The final resting place of Phil Lynott.
  • Last visit to Sutton: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2011

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Nice page! Great tips - I still think TL's Whiskey in the Jar is the best! Now back to the housework! Gillybob greetings

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Sutton