"VTers Cascade into Cascais" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais by suvanki
Cascais Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 2,306 photos
Cascais is an attractive town, situated on the western Estoril coast of Portugal - The Portuguese Riviera! Its' nearest city is Lisbon approx. 30 km away. The coastal railway line from Lisbons Cais do Sodre terminates at Cascais.
So this was an ideal spot for Euromeet 2009! My first Euromeet too....
From Paleolithic times, there has been human inhabitation in this area. Settlers arrived, attracted by the climate and suitable living conditions- water from the river and sea and fertile soil.
By the Middle Ages, Cascais had a small fishing community, which expanded over the centuries. As well as fishermen, trades developed around the industry including boat making and repairers, rope makers, sail makers, fish traders, sardine canners etc.
Located at the mouth of the River Tagus, the coastline of Cascais, was the last sight of Portugal, for the Discoverers heading to far away lands, such as India, Africa and Brazil. It was also the first sight, for the returning ships crews. These boats returning with valuable commodities such as Gold and spices.
From this coastline, the Armada Invencivel (The Invincible Navy) set off on a fateful voyage for England in 1588. It was the largest collection of warships in existance, prior to WW2.
A few kms from Cascais is the landmark of Cabo da Roca- the most westerly point of Europe.
Before the modern day tourist invasion, Cascais was a destination of interest to other visitors - Phoenicians, Romans and Arabs in turn have invaded and eventually left-each leaving reminders of their existence here. Architecture, language, customs, gastronomy etc.
In 1147, as a result of the Reconquest, the Estoril region came under Christian control.
The Cascais coastline was a magnet for pirates, and invading nations such as Spain, France and England. Fortifications were constructed at intervals along the coast.
The citadel at Cascais, was one of the larger defences, particularly as the Tagus led to the Capital city of Lisbon. It was built in the 16th Century.
In 1870, the Portuguese Royal family decided to move here. It became their official residence. Historically, Cascais and Estoril had maintained close links with the Portuguese royalty as well as the military and political parties.
In turn, these towns received many royal and influential visitors, looking for a place to relax. Grand Villas and Palaces were built for holiday homes, Sporting clubs, theatres were opened. The casino in Estoril is the oldest in Portugal, and the largest in Europe.
World War 2 saw these towns transformed into a base of espionage, bringing an air of mystery and glamour. Exiled Royals and nobility were also attracted here, which in turn attracted the 'Rich and Famous' from film stars to artists, musicians, sportsmen and 'international playboys'
Motorsports, tennis and golf are some of the sports that host national or international championships in this area, bringing more glamour (and money)
Also, Music Festivals as well as an International dog show and the International Handicrafts Fair.
With communications improving over the centuries, road and rail links bring more people to the area, as well as allowing people to travel into Lisbon etc for work each day.
The airport at Lisbon, brings in international visitors, and with the advent of 'bargain companies' such as Ryanair and Easyjet, more people are getting the opportunity to enjoy Cascais.
Cascais was a great location for this meet- Coastal resort, with good connections to and from Lisbon, plenty to see and do in and around the town, and other places of interest an hour or less away.
There was an easygoing atmosphere, with a variety of restaurants and bars to keep us happy.
to be continued....
Busy compiling Travelogues for Cascais, Lisbon, Portugal, Estoril and Evora, as well as downloading videos there, plus putting pics from Euromeet on Facebook -
Blimey, It's a full time job. (my ironing pile can be seen from space, and I'm running out of clean cups and plates -HELP!!)
Getting around to adding tips slowly.... My TRAVELOGUES are now completed , with many pics from this Euromeet - so enjoy looking for faces and names that you recognise!!
My Estoril page is complete, as is my Cabo da Roca page.
Just need to find some time to complete my Cascais, Lisbon , Evora and Sintra pages before Krakow Euromeet in May 2010!!!!
- Pros:Scenic location, plenty to see and do in Cascais and nearby.
- Cons:Watch your feet-some paving is uneven, some is covered in dog excrement too!
- In a nutshell:A lovely resort town with good connections to Lisbon and beyond.
This is a street that I passed through most of the days (and nights) that I spent in Cascais, mainly to get from my... more travel advice
Overlooking Conceição beach and beyond, is this building that I thought was quite impressive looking, with its... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Cascais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CASCAIS - THE COAST OF KINGS"
- "Delightful Fishing Village On The Atlantic Coast"
- "VTers Cascade into Cascais"
- "Venue for Euromeet 2009"
- "Cascais, (Euromeet 2009)"
- "Spectacular Cascais"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cascais
- Hotels in Cascais
- Transportation in Cascais
- Nightlife in Cascais
- Restaurants in Cascais
- Shopping in Cascais
- Warnings and Dangers in Cascais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cascais
- 27 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Cascais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cascais
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Ooop North Camping meet"
- updated a Cascais Travel Page "VTers Cascade into Cascais"
- Uploaded a Photo to "VTers Cascade into Cascais"
- Wrote a Review Largo Luis de Camoes in Cascais Things to Do
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Cascais travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Cascais
Photos in CascaisSee All Photos (169)
Videos in CascaisSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 160 reviews, 598 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos