"VT Euromeet - Saturday 30th May 09 Estoril" Top 5 Page for this destination Estoril by suvanki

Estoril Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 351 photos

Another Great Night

Saturday night - After a great day out at Sintra and Cabo da Roca, we all met up at the Estoril Restaurant, which was just behind the famous Estoril Casino.

I'm afraid that this was all that I got to see of Estoril, apart from the short walk from the train station, and passing by on the train from Cascais to Lisbon and back. I was intending to return during my stay in Cascais, but I'm afraid that I didn't get the chance.

Estoril is located about 15km from Lisbon, and lends its name to the former 'Sun Coast'. The Estoril coast runs from Carcavelos to Guincho,

Like its neighbour Cascais, Estoril is an elegant coastal resort.
There are remains of Roman mansions dating back around 2,000 years, and more recently it was the residence of Juan de Borbón, a pretender to the Spanish throne. During WW2 exiled royals and nobility made their homes here, with espionage agents adding to the atmosphere!

Once a renowned fishing village, its income today comes from tourism - visitors from Portugal and abroad being attracted to its sandy beaches, pleasant climate (warm winters and comfortable summer temperatures), its Casino-which is the largest in Europe (and is said to have been the inspiration for Ian Flemings James Bond novel of Casino Royale), and motor racing. It was once host to the F1 races. There are also 2 golf courses.

• Pros:Beaches, a Casino and with links to James Bond, exiled Royalty and Espionage - what's not to like?
  • Cons:I didn't really see enough of this place
  • In a nutshell:A pleasant resort town, easy to reach from Lisbon
  • Last visit to Estoril: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2011

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM

really nice page. love the opening photo.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Wonderful account of our fabulous dinner In Estoril, My favourite was the ham at the carving station - simply smashin'

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 8:05 AM

It has really been a more than great evening and a yummy dinner!! We didn't have chance to speak this time :-( I do hope next time!!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Estoril

Have you been to Estoril?

Latest Activity in Estoril