"Spring and Port Wine!" Top 5 Page for this destination Porto by suvanki
Porto Travel Guide: 1,033 reviews and 2,660 photos
Just caught a repeated episode of Anthony Bourdains A Cooks tour on TV this weekend, which featured Porto or Oporto - which reminded me of my visit to this fascinating city, and that I must get round to revisiting soon! Maybe after the Euromeet in May!!
'Years ago I'd planned a trip travelling by train from the North of Spains' coastline, down through Portugal, ending up in the Algarve. My plan didn't work out, but one of the places I'd planned to visit was Oporto.
Checking thro' the Ryanair website, I learned they were due to start flights from Liverpool to Porto. So when I found a flight for 1p each way for March 11-14th I was booked! I phoned a friend, who had said she'd be interested in visiting the area, so within a few days we had our flight and accommodation sorted.
My first view of Porto was from the plane as we descended over the city. I was surpised to see that the city was far larger than I'd imagined. I had a great view of the River Douro and the lights of Porto.
After a short journey by the Aerobus, we arrived at the Hotel Malaposta. However, due to renovation work, we were relocated to the Hotel Miradouro. Our room had a panoramic view over the lights of Porto!
Next morning we woke to find a mist covering the city below our 10th floor room, but as the sun broke through, we realised that we were able to see the Atlantic ocean, then follow the river upstream, gradually we could identify landmarks such as the wine lodges, the Cathedral, church towers and bridges.
OK, so we'd toured the sights from our window, time to get out, down to street level, enjoy the atmosphere of a Sunday in Porto, and explore!
Well, Porto proved to be an ideal city for a mini break -
Porto was known in Roman times as Portus Cale which means 'The sheltered port'
It is the 2nd largest city in Portugal. It is known as the Capital of Northern Portugal
1n 2001 it was named European Capital of Culture, a title it shared with Rotterdam.
The riverside bairro of Ribeira is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
It is found at the mouth of the River Douro - River of Gold.
The river is straddled by 6 bridges as it flows through the city, giving it the title "City of Bridges"
"Coimbra studies, Braga prays, Lisbon shows off and Porto works" is an oft quoted saying.
Porto stretches 11kms from the coast inland.
Festa de Sao Joao - St Johns Eve- the night of June 23-24 is the place to see celebratory crowds hitting each other over the head with plastic hammers!
Portos citizens are known as tripeiros - tripe eaters, due to their unselfish act of giving all their meat to Infante Dom Henriques expeditions to N.Africa, and keeping only the tripe for themselves.
Porto is famous for its Port wine trade, established in the suburb of Vila Nova de Gaia, which is reached by crossing Ponte Dom Luis 1
Portos 3 football teams are FC Porto, Boavista FC and SC Salgueiros.
FC Porto were once coached by the ever gorgeous Jose Mourinho!, winning the 2003 UEFA Cup!
- Pros:Lovely city, plenty to see and do- near to the coast too!
- Cons:Hilly, some uneven pavements.
- In a nutshell:Get here before it becomes spoiled!
Some of the streets in Porto are very steep - OK walking down, but can be a bit of a problem for anyone with breathing... more travel advice
The Ponte da Arrábida, at the time of its construction held the world record for concrete bridges, due to it having a a... more travel advice
- See All Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Esperanca
- See All Traditional Shopping
- See All Sausages!
- See All Old Fashioned Trams! electricos
suvanki's Related Pages
Porto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spring and Port Wine!"
- "A Fine Port"
- "a colorful city on the river"
- "The Fairy Tale City in Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto
- Hotels in Porto
- Transportation in Porto
- Nightlife in Porto
- Restaurants in Porto
- Shopping in Porto
- Warnings and Dangers in Porto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto
- 41 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Porto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto
Photos in PortoSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 160 reviews, 598 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos