Bilbao Transportation Tips by suvanki Top 5 Page for this destination
Bilbao Transportation: 68 reviews and 96 photos
I flew from Bilbao to Seville by Vuelling. I'd booked my flight online prior to departing the UK.
A bus to the airport leaves regularly from San Mames Bus station (every 20 minutes). Service 3247. Purchase your ticket from the ticket office. The journey takes less than 20 minutes.
I was looking forward to seeing the airport terminus that had been designed by Santiago Calatrava.
to be continued.....
Phone: 94 471 0301
To get to Bilbao from my home in the north of England, it was cheaper and more convenient for me to fly to Madrid from Liverpool, then from Madrid to Santander then get the bus to Bilbao! (A direct flight would have meant a long and expensive train to London then Stanstead)
My flight from Madrid cost 6 Euros! (inc taxes etc - Ryanair, hand luggage only and online check in)
The flight was less than an hour.
I picked up a map of Bilbao at the small tourist Info Office. I understood that there was a direct bus from Santander airport to Bilbao, but was told that I'd have to get a bus from the airport to Santander bus station in the city centre. (One was due in 5 minutes, and you purchased your ticket from the driver)
A bus pulled up, and a group queued to board, but the driver said you needed a ticket. One of the group was saying that the ticket office was closed, but the driver shut the doors and drove off. I wasn't sure if he just didn't like the look of this group.
I hung around for a bit longer, but then decided to get a taxi. I was quite shocked to find that the fare for the short journey was 18 Euros!!! I questioned this, but the taxi driver kept pointing to his meter 12 euro fare + 6 euros supplement (airport pick up and luggage (for my small case)
I later found out that the service bus from the airport was a couple of Euros-and the stop was a short walk from the arrivals area. The bus that had pulled up was from the ALSA company - you can pre book online, or purchase tickets when the desk is open)
(Yes, I should have done my homework!!)
I purchased a ticket for the journey to Bilbao, which cost 6.71 Euros for the 90 minute journey.
Bus 29 ALSA Bus Service.
There were a few stops before we arrived at the bus station in Bilbao, near the San Mames Stadium and RENFE train/metro station.
More Reviews (34)
suvanki's Related Pages
Bilbao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bilbao, Capital of the World"
- "Bilbo, besterik gabe..."
- "Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki"
- "Guggenheim Museum and much more..."
- "Bilbao, Spain"
- "The Camino Norte (1st section) – Irun to Santander"
- "Athletic Club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bilbao
- Hotels in Bilbao
- Transportation in Bilbao
- Nightlife in Bilbao
- Restaurants in Bilbao
- Shopping in Bilbao
- Warnings and Dangers in Bilbao
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cedar Key Hotels
- Tanauan Hotels
- Pulau Pramuka Hotels
- Bretagne Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bilbao
- 36 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Bilbao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bilbao
- Posted in Travel Kovalam Forum "Re: Night Entertainment in Kovalam "
- Commented on one of suvanki's Bilbao tips
- updated a Bilbao Travel Page "Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bilbaos first Skyscraper?"
- Wrote a Review Bilbaos first Skyscraper? in Bilbao Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Bilbao
Photos in BilbaoSee All Photos (140)
Videos in BilbaoSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 157 reviews, 584 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 103 reviews, 599 photos, 22 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Bilbao hotel reviews
- Sheraton Bilbao Hotel
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- NH Palacio de Oriol
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Petit Palace Arana
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Golden Tulip Gran Hotel Ercilla
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Barcelo Hotel Avenida
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Carlton Hotel
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hostal Begona
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Barcelo Nervion
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- San Mames
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Hotel Occidental Abando
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Abba Parque Hotel Bilbao
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Zabalburu Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Guggenheim Museum & Puppy- 70 Reviews, 152 Photos
- Old Town + Cathedral - Casco Viejo & El Arenal- 52 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Near Bilbao...around Vizcaya / Bizkaia- 15 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Zubizuri (White bridge)- 10 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Museums- 12 Reviews, 13 Photos
- One hour from Bilbao... Guipuzcoa/Gipuzkoa- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos