Bilbao Transportation Tips by suvanki Top 5 Page for this destination

Bilbao Transportation: 75 reviews and 104 photos

Bilbao airport - Bilbao

Bilbao airport

Bilbao to Seville Airport Review

I flew from Bilbao to Seville by Vuelling. I'd booked my flight online prior to departing the UK.
A bus to the airport leaves regularly from San Mames Bus station (every 20 minutes). Service 3247. Purchase your ticket from the ticket office. The journey takes less than 20 minutes.

I was looking forward to seeing the airport terminus that had been designed by Santiago Calatrava.

to be continued.....

• Written Aug 16, 2009
Santander Airport - Bilbao

Santander Airport

Madrid to Santander to Bilbao

To get to Bilbao from my home in the north of England, it was cheaper and more convenient for me to fly to Madrid from Liverpool, then from Madrid to Santander then get the bus to Bilbao! (A direct flight would have meant a long and expensive train to London then Stanstead)

My flight from Madrid cost 6 Euros! (inc taxes etc - Ryanair, hand luggage only and online check in)
The flight was less than an hour.

I picked up a map of Bilbao at the small tourist Info Office. I understood that there was a direct bus from Santander airport to Bilbao, but was told that I'd have to get a bus from the airport to Santander bus station in the city centre. (One was due in 5 minutes, and you purchased your ticket from the driver)

A bus pulled up, and a group queued to board, but the driver said you needed a ticket. One of the group was saying that the ticket office was closed, but the driver shut the doors and drove off. I wasn't sure if he just didn't like the look of this group.

I hung around for a bit longer, but then decided to get a taxi. I was quite shocked to find that the fare for the short journey was 18 Euros!!! I questioned this, but the taxi driver kept pointing to his meter 12 euro fare + 6 euros supplement (airport pick up and luggage (for my small case)

I later found out that the service bus from the airport was a couple of Euros-and the stop was a short walk from the arrivals area. The bus that had pulled up was from the ALSA company - you can pre book online, or purchase tickets when the desk is open)

(Yes, I should have done my homework!!)

I purchased a ticket for the journey to Bilbao, which cost 6.71 Euros for the 90 minute journey.
Bus 29 ALSA Bus Service.

There were a few stops before we arrived at the bus station in Bilbao, near the San Mames Stadium and RENFE train/metro station.

Mode: TO

Type: Airplane

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 16, 2009

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Bilbao