"Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki" Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao by suvanki
Bilbao Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 2,106 photos
Bilbao had been on my list of places to see for quite a while.
Summer 2009, I found a chance to take advantage of cheap flights to follow part of Bruce Springsteens Spain leg of his European tour -I could fit in his concerts in Bilbao and Seville (which was high on my must see places list), I could also re-visit Santiago de Compostella for the last date of his European tour - then once I'd planned this I found there was a VT meet in Madrid. A great 12 day action packed trip!
Bilbao was even more interesting than I expected, with some hidden gems.
I arrived by bus from Santander (after flying from Liverpool to Madrid, then Madrid to Santander - not the most direct of routes but the times and prices suited me) late evening.
Next morning I was up early, ready to explore. I was here for 2 nights, so wanted to see as much as possible before I headed off to Seville.
My tips are in the order that I walked around the city, so come with me and discover Bilbao ...........
Bilbao is located in the Basque region, on the Atlantic coast,
In the Basque language, the Basque Country is known as Euskadi or Euskal Herria (Land of the Basque Speakers)
Pais Vasco in Spanish and Le Pays Basque in French.
Bilbao is known as Bilbo in the Basque Language, or Boxto, which means the hole- (due to it being wedged in by the hills of Vizcaya (Biscay) Province, and divided by the River of Bilbao
The Basque region is found in the North East of Spain. Bordered to the North by the Atlantic Ocean and the Bay of Biscay, to the east - France, La Rioja (the Ebro River) to the south and the Cantabrian and Burgos provinces to the West
It consists of the provinces of Gipuzkoa, Araba and Bizkaia (Guipuzcoa, Alava and Vizcaya in Catalan).
Although Bilbao is the largest city of this region, Viotoria- Gasteiz is the capital. Bilbao is the capital of the Biscay province.
The name of the city may come from "bel vado"which is the ancient Spanish for "good river crossing" or it may have originated from the Basque bi albo, which translates as two river banks".
Bilbao is probably the most re-invented city in Spain. Known formerly for being a prosperous Industrial city, where Ship building yards, Chemical plants and steelworks provided an income for the residents, it also attracted unwanted attention through history for this. It particularly suffered during the Spanish Civil War in retribution for siding with the Republican Government. Bilbao defended itself by an 'Iron Belt' around the city, comprising of heavy artillery, and a network of tunnels and bunkers. This was the brain child of an engineer-Goicoechea. . Surprisingly, it was his act of betrayal that led to the fall of Bilbao into the hands of Francos advancing troops on June 19th 1937.
Franco used his occupation of the Industrial region to aid Spains economy, with thousands of workers being drafted in from other areas of Spain to work in the factories and steelworks.
Bilbao still has an industrial backbone, but most of the heavy industry has been moved away.
Bilbao suffered an industrial crisis in the 1980's - Enlightened decisions were made to change Bilbao into a major Services and tourism centre
In 1989, the Strategic Plan for the Revitalization of Bilbao was initiated at the request of the Autonomous Basque Government, the Territorial Council of Biscay and the Bilbao Town Council. Funding was poured into a major Renovation and Urban regeneration programme.
Central to this was the construction of a transport network, including the Metro designed by Sir Norman Foster and tram lines (Euskotran). The airport was expanded in 2000, designed by the award winning Santiago Calatrava , it provides an eye catching sight for the increasing number of visitors being transported by European budget airlines.
The port area was cleared away from the river to the Bay of Biscay.
The old town , which was damaged by flooding in 1983, was cleaned up.
Probably the main attraction that put Bilbao on the map was the construction of the Guggenheim Musem by Frank Gehry, it is now one of Spains most visited attractions. More construction of concert venues, cultural centres, museums etc, plus the growth of the hotel and restaurant industries to accommodate the influx of tourists and business people to this interesting city
- Pros:Stylish city, Arty, Skillfully regenerated!
- Cons:Some 'no-go' areas
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit - There's much more than the Guggenheim
Next to Estacion Bilbao a Santander is this tall building. It is the first building taller than 40 meters to be built... more travel advice
Returning to street level, and the we'll retrace our steps back to the Puente Arenal, passing through the Park and... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Bilbao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bilbao, Capital of the World"
- "Bilbo, besterik gabe..."
- "Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki"
- "Guggenheim Museum and much more..."
- "Bilbao, Spain"
- "The Camino Norte (1st section) – Irun to Santander"
- "Athletic Club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bilbao
- Hotels in Bilbao
- Transportation in Bilbao
- Nightlife in Bilbao
- Restaurants in Bilbao
- Shopping in Bilbao
- Warnings and Dangers in Bilbao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bilbao
- 36 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Bilbao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bilbao
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY..."
- Commented on one of suvanki's Bilbao tips
- updated a Bilbao Travel Page "Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bilbaos first Skyscraper?"
- Wrote a Review Bilbaos first Skyscraper? in Bilbao Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Bilbao
Photos in BilbaoSee All Photos (140)
Videos in BilbaoSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 165 reviews, 611 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos