"Much More Than The Alhambra" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by suvanki

Granada Travel Guide: 2,035 reviews and 5,074 photos

Festival of the Crucifixes

A few days Annual leave owed to me, a cheap flight courtesy of Ryanair, and within 30 minutes, I had a flight and accomodation booked to Granada for 3-5 May 2005.

Now, I knew very little about Granada, but after perusing VTer pages, I was really looking forward to my trip. As a bonus, I was going to arrive on the evening of the Festival of the Crucifixes!

I'd become enthralled reading Jason Websters' Duende and Andalus, which had made me determined to visit Andalucia, and I was becoming quite interested in Flamenco, after seeing Joaquin Cortes perform on 3 occassions in London (I know purists, don't always rate him, but I was quite impressed with him and his backing musicians and singers on the 3 occassions that I'd seen him)

For Many years, I'd wanted to visit Seville and Cordoba, but Granada was now my destination.

The only thing that I knew about Granada was the Alhambra Palace, but as I read VTer pages, and guide books etc, I realised there was a lot to see and experience- probably too much to cram into my short stay.

I arrived into Granada by the airport bus, as the festivities were about to commence, which meant that I had trouble getting to my hostal. I was dropped off, where I later realised was Via de Colon, then hailed a cab. I could see men on horses, and women dressed in the traditional polka dot dresses, some with fringed shawls and/or combs in their hair. I could also hear music playing - a great atmosphere!

Springsteen at the Plaza de Torres

My second visit to Granada was mainly to see Bruce Springsteen in concert on 22nd October 06. It was also an excuse to see much more of , what is now, one of my favourite cities.

Arriving on Thursday night, I checked into my accomodation, which was near to the Plaza de Carmen, then ventured out to sample Granadas nightlife of bars and Tapas.

Friday morning, I was up and ready to explore. I'd picked up a flyer about A Walking Tour of Granada, which was leaving from Plaza de Carmen at 10.30.

I really enjoyed this 2.30 hour walk - the guide was very informative, and I learnt quite a lot about the Christian and Muslim influence on the development of Granadas history. For an insight into Granadas history, culture etc I'd recommend this tour and the Granada Tour Bus.

On my second visit to Granada, I had the chance to explore more of the 'off the beaten track' places. Wandering around I had some very pleasant surprises, such as coming across a wedding, which led to me witnessing 2 more within a few hours!

This visit made me even more besotted with Granada, I can't wait to visit again!

• Pros:So Much to see and do within walking distance, A Great city!
  • Cons:Errr- The Alhambra at night (based on my personal experience)
  • In a nutshell:Granada has much more than The Alhambra to offer!
  • Last visit to Granada: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2007

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Wow Sue! I love this page! You make me want to visit now! Enjoyed your wandering stories....especially the hospital and wedding one. ...and the old Grafitti...amazing! Sad to hear about your night Alhambra tour. Enjoyed the read a pix mate! :o) Hugs, Ann xx

• jwolf420's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Ole Spain Cultural Walking Tours does a great job in Granada as part of their 8 day tour of Andalucia. 1 day in the Alhambra and the other in the city, including walking the Albaicin, with stories, history, folklore, etc. Check them out: www.olespain.com.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM

You did a wonderful presentation of the sites here besides the palace. This is so steeped in history. The pictures and comments are very well done.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Hello, Sue! You have visited a lot of wonderful places I must say! Good for you! ><><><><

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Nathalie and Tal are correct. The clue for the man is: "I did"

• May 6, 2009 at 5:31 AM

After previous positive food experiences in this place, I went there with friends of mine a week ago. The quality of the food was really poor and it was not tastyl at all. When I tried to talk to the main waiter about it, I almost get kick out.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Thanks for your good tips and pics of Granada. The Moorish area and Arabic market would attract me! I wouldlove to see the architecture, though. It has an interesting history, Granada.

• Apr 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM

I didn't see anything wrong with the reviews and I have lived in Granada. Maybe the ladies bag fell out the bus is my only opinion I'd like to add as I haven't heard of any scams in Granada, but it can happen anywhere as pointed out in the tip.

• Apr 4, 2008 at 3:27 AM

I'm afraid I do not agree at all with your review. Many of the problems you tell are either your fault, either incorrect.

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Very nice and rich in information tips!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Granada

Have you been to Granada?

Latest Activity in Granada