"Much More Than The Alhambra" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by suvanki
Granada Travel Guide: 2,065 reviews and 5,240 photos
A few days Annual leave owed to me, a cheap flight courtesy of Ryanair, and within 30 minutes, I had a flight and accomodation booked to Granada for 3-5 May 2005.
Now, I knew very little about Granada, but after perusing VTer pages, I was really looking forward to my trip. As a bonus, I was going to arrive on the evening of the Festival of the Crucifixes!
I'd become enthralled reading Jason Websters' Duende and Andalus, which had made me determined to visit Andalucia, and I was becoming quite interested in Flamenco, after seeing Joaquin Cortes perform on 3 occassions in London (I know purists, don't always rate him, but I was quite impressed with him and his backing musicians and singers on the 3 occassions that I'd seen him)
For Many years, I'd wanted to visit Seville and Cordoba, but Granada was now my destination.
The only thing that I knew about Granada was the Alhambra Palace, but as I read VTer pages, and guide books etc, I realised there was a lot to see and experience- probably too much to cram into my short stay.
I arrived into Granada by the airport bus, as the festivities were about to commence, which meant that I had trouble getting to my hostal. I was dropped off, where I later realised was Via de Colon, then hailed a cab. I could see men on horses, and women dressed in the traditional polka dot dresses, some with fringed shawls and/or combs in their hair. I could also hear music playing - a great atmosphere!
My second visit to Granada was mainly to see Bruce Springsteen in concert on 22nd October 06. It was also an excuse to see much more of , what is now, one of my favourite cities.
Arriving on Thursday night, I checked into my accomodation, which was near to the Plaza de Carmen, then ventured out to sample Granadas nightlife of bars and Tapas.
Friday morning, I was up and ready to explore. I'd picked up a flyer about A Walking Tour of Granada, which was leaving from Plaza de Carmen at 10.30.
I really enjoyed this 2.30 hour walk - the guide was very informative, and I learnt quite a lot about the Christian and Muslim influence on the development of Granadas history. For an insight into Granadas history, culture etc I'd recommend this tour and the Granada Tour Bus.
On my second visit to Granada, I had the chance to explore more of the 'off the beaten track' places. Wandering around I had some very pleasant surprises, such as coming across a wedding, which led to me witnessing 2 more within a few hours!
This visit made me even more besotted with Granada, I can't wait to visit again!
- Pros:So Much to see and do within walking distance, A Great city!
- Cons:Errr- The Alhambra at night (based on my personal experience)
- In a nutshell:Granada has much more than The Alhambra to offer!
Halfway up Plaza Nueva on the right hand side, is a steep narrow road, that leads to the Alhambra gardens and Palace.... more travel advice
Trying to find somewhere to eat in Albaicin was more difficult than I'd expected - As it was late October, I presume... more travel advice
- See All Tapas and drinks
- See All Family run Hostal, Good central...
- See All Roadworks in Granada centre
suvanki's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- "My new home - My old home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 68 Reviews
- 166 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Get the recipe you require..."
- updated a Granada Travel Page "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cathedral - Frescoes"
- Wrote a Review Cuesta de Gomarez and Granada (Pomegranate) Gate in Granada Things to Do
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Granada travel pages
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (166)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 171 reviews, 629 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 46 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos