Madrid Hotel Tips by suvanki
Madrid Hotels: 41,309 reviews and 518 photos
Hostal Astoria Room 519
I booked this place through WWW.Venere.com, and was very pleased with my stay. I'd certainly stay here again.
Remember that Hostals in Spain are usually a 2* establishment, not like Hostels, which are usually more basic, but usually an authentic accommodation experience.
From Sol metro it is about a 3 -5 minute walk to this property.
A lift takes you to the 5th floor, and into a pleasant lounge and reception area. The staff speak very little English, but are friendly and efficient.
The building itself dates back to the 1890's, and opened as a hostal in 1993
My room was at the back of the property, with a view of the building opposite. This wasn't a problem as I wasn't in my room for too long, and it was probably quieter than a street view.
I'd paid 96.30 euros ($153 / £76 ) for 2 nights single room with en-suite. Breakfast not included, but there are plenty of places to eat nearby.
Free internet access. 24 hour reception
My room (519) was spotlessly clean and more spacious than I'd expected.
Pleasantly furnished. Key card for door and electrics. I think all rooms are non- smoking.
2 single beds, wardrobe (with security box - 1 euro coin, non-returnable, which was a bit of a nuisance as each time I wanted to get something out I had to put in another coin to lock it)
Writing desk, chairs, case stand, TV (had CNN for first day, but not able to receive later). Telephone, radio, Air Con
Bathroom with small bath/ shower, WC, basin, hairdryer. Towels
Freebies- bath gel/shampoo- which smelt very nice, soap, comb, shower cap, shoe shine pad.
Eco friendly notices advising re-using towels, and to use shower in preference of bath.
There was some building work going on, but this didn't bother me too much, they didn't start until late in the morning. I'm not sure if they are expanding the Hostal or renovating rooms. I saw lots of floor tiles being taken up in the lift.
Coffee Vending machine - 50 cents for various coffees, hot chocolate or tea.
Also cans of soft drinks 1.50 euros, water 1 euro, beer 1.50 euros.
Unique Qualities: Ideally located for the sights of Madrid.
Between Sol and Paseo del Prado.
The Madrid Vision tour bus stops nearby (Line 2 Stop 15 Las Cortes - opposite the Congreso de los Diputados, and near the Palace Hotel.
(Sevilla is 150 metres from the Hostal Astoria, but the station was closed at the time of my visit, presumably as part of the instillation of the new train line into Sol)
Address: Carrera San Jeronimo n 30-32, 5 floor , Madrid, C
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: From Sol, C/Jeronimo is to the right of the Tio Pepe sign. Continue along here.
After a flamenco theatre you come to a jewellers shop, turn right into the passageway.
Lift to the 5th floor.
(Seville was closed at my visit)
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 34 914 291 188
Room 704 Gran Hotel Colon Madrid
I was very impressed by my room (704) in this 4* hotel.
I usually stay in more basic accommodation, but I wanted to stay near the Palace des Deportes
(This was where Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band were performing).
This was my first visit to Madrid, so wasn't sure of the city lay out, or how easy it would be to get around, especially late at night after the concert.
Booking. com had a Double room for a single person, 2 nights for 130 Euros
(Breakfast (buffet) would have been 12 euros extra)
Pleasant Reception area, efficient check in.
My room was quite spacious, modern with light furnishings and fittings.
Double bed (with assortment of pillows, and description leaflet explaining the different fillings!), wardrobe, safe, mini bar with complimentary waters, large flat screen TV.
Spacious bathroom with large shower cubicle, basin, WC. Large fluffy towels, make up mirror, hairdryer.
Freebies- bath/ shower gels, shampoo, comb, shower cap, toothbrush/paste, glycerine soap, sewing kit, chocolates.
A card gave the name of the cleaner - The room was spotless!
There is a restaurant and cafeteria, which I didn't get chance to eat in.
Rooftop gym, sauna, hair/beauty salon (Which I was hoping to use, but didn't get the time)
Unique Qualities: 2 mins walk from Metro station (Sainz de Baranda - Line 9 - Purple) which connects to Circular line (6 - Grey)
Glass work features in lounge areas by the artist Manuel Ortega
Modern and airy reception/ lounge areas
Pleasant garden with decking, gravel paths, seating. Trees and shrubs
Although this hotel is away from the main attractions, it is quite near to the Retira Gardens and Prado museum.
I found it easy to use the Metro to get around (I purchased a 2 day tourist ticket for 6.80 euros which I found good value)
Near the hotel are restaurants and bars.
I'd Certainly use this hotel again!
Address: Pez Volador, 1-11 28007 Madrid
Comparison: about average
Directions: South of the airport. East of the centre. Near Retiro Gardens (SE entrance)
Metro - Sainz de Baranda (Line 9) - exit at Calle del Doctor Esquerdo. Citreon garage on the right, continue downhill for 200-300metres.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +34914009900 fx +34915730809
More Reviews (33)
- See All One of Madrids oldest bars
- See All San Lorenzo de el Escorial
- See All Chueca- lively night life
- See All Street Musicians
suvanki's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Explore the World
- Apartamentos Europa
- Travelodge Cardiff Central
- Beachview Inn
- The Waters Of Minocqua (8116 Hwy 51 South )
- Scandic Kungens Kurva
- Lindner Grand Beau Rivage Interlaken
- Southern Sun Grayston
- Eden Savoy Hotel Rotterdam
- The Malaysia Hotel
- Villa Alessandra
- Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto
- Bled Backpackers Rooms
- Lijiang Sanhe Hotel
- Sofia Hotel
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 35 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Ooop North Camping Meet 5-7th July"
- updated a Madrid Travel Page "MAGIC times in Madrid!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Belgian cuisine and beers!"
- Wrote a Review One of Madrids oldest bars in Madrid Restaurants
- Commented on one of marielexoteria's Madrid travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Madrid
Videos in MadridSee All Videos (2)
Read real reviews about Madrid Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 621 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 102 reviews, 594 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 155 reviews, 517 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 38 reviews, 371 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (155)
Latest Madrid hotel reviews
- Hotel Praga Hoteles Santos
- 190 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Melia Castilla
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Tijcal II Hostal Madrid
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 3, 2013
- Oriente Hostal Madrid
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Gran Atlanta Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Room Mate Alicia
- 494 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Sheraton Santa Maria de El Paular
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Foxa 32 Suites
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Senator Gran Via
- 360 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel Asset Torrejon
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- El Coloso
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Zenit Abeba
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hostal Zamoran
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2012
- United World International Hostel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 5, 2013
- Plaza Mayor- 141 Reviews, 250 Photos
- Retiro Park- 120 Reviews, 233 Photos
- Prado Museum- 151 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Royal Palace- 118 Reviews, 219 Photos
- Puerta del Sol- 82 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Almudena Cathedral- 64 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Gran Via- 44 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Bullfighting- 54 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Reina Sofia Museum- 51 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Atocha- 35 Reviews, 65 Photos
See All Madrid Things to Do