"A Winter Warmer in Torremolinos" Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos by suvanki

Torremolinos Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,584 photos

Torremolinos

Torremolinos certainly wasn't on my long list of "must see" places, and my friends and work colleagues were quite amused when I mentioned that this was my next destination, So why was I venturing there at the end of January?

Simples...... Gillybob had posted a Vt meet, 'A Winter Warmer'. Hansi and Lori would be there for their annual winter break, and it was a good chance for a post Christmas treat. Suddenly 23 had signed up-'Old Friends' and some new faces too. Then the penny dropped... the planned weekend co-incided with the first Barney Awards, and Gilly had been proposed to host the UK meet in Manchester...Hmmm..
Well, it wasn't long before we realised this was the perfect alternative- 23 VTers, gathered in one place, we have the technology to Skype etc to VTHQ, We have Barney Award nominees in our midst-Gillybob, Hansi, Lori Pori, Sachara, Toonsarah, yumyum and me, plus EuroBarney and BarneyUK would be there too!

So, besides the Barney Awards, we had the chance to explore Torremolinos...

Torrie-Mol-Inos!!!!

I'm afraid that pre-departure, my initial image of Torremolinos was of lager swilling tattooed Brits (male and female!), Fast Food, and cheap alcohol, along with tacky souvenir shops, high rise concrete hotels, Ex-pats and criminals etc...

Memories of Monty Python-Watneys Red Barrel (Episode 31) - Thanks to Gwynfiguy for reminding me!
Click Here for Monty Python sketch script

After all Torremolinos was one of the first Costa resorts - from the 1950's the first tourists arrived, including stars of stage and screen, then package tours arrived, and through the 1960's and 70's provided an escape for those wanting a foreign holiday that was like' home from home' - The one time sleepy fishing town was completely transformed as high rise hotels sprung up.
El Bajondillo was the old fishing district of Torremolinos, and La Carihuela was a fishing village.
During the 80's Torrie became quite shabby and neglected, with an image to match- drugs, drunken holidaymakers fighting and a criminal element.

However, a project was launched to smarten Torremolinos up - The beaches were cleaned up, the Promenade was re-laid, gardens were created, and the old town was given a face lift, along with stricter control of the night clubs etc.

Well we were there 'out of season' and although there are plenty of 'Home from Home' bars and Restaurants, we did find some 'hidden gems' too of this one time fishing town. Besides holidaymakers, there is a sizable ex-pat community-mainly British, German and Scandinavian, who've chosen to retire or set up 'A new life' here.

There is a move to make Torremolinos a UNESCO heritage site, as it is considered to be one of the most authentic Spanish towns.

Torremolinos was once named "Torre de la Molinos" - Tower of the Mills
During Moorish occupation of Spain in the early 14th Century, they established mills and a Defence tower. The tower can be seen in the old town.

Paseo Maritimo is the attractive paved promenade that follows the beaches of this stretch of coastline. From Playamar to La Carihuela and to the Marina of Benalmadena, it is possible to walk (or jog/cycle/roller blade etc) and enjoy the views out to sea, the beaches, rock formations, wooded areas and a small palmierie. Look out for some interesting statues too!
You're never far from a chiringuito (beach bar/cafe), and there are some excellent fish restaurants, particularly in La Carihuela

Calle San Miguel, is the main pedestrianised street, with plenty of shops and cafes. (San Miguel is the patron Saint of Torremolinos)

• Pros:Attractive Promenade and beaches, some excellent restaurants/bars/cafes
  • Cons:There are lots of 'Brit Bars' - I should imagine it's quite a different atmosphere here in Summer.
  • In a nutshell:A great place for a 'Winter Warmer', probably wouldn't enjoy a Summer Sizzler here!
  • Last visit to Torremolinos: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2011

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM

My first trip to Europe was to here-1972, and it looks to have changed a lot. You detail descriptions and nice pictures show off the area very well.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Fabulous page Sue! I especially liked your restaurant tips...saved a couple for when we visit in September. Enjoyed your special research as well ;o) Hugs, Ann xx

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Just revisited your pages because you put soooo many new tips! Your pages are just awesome! Can't be bothered to write tips now, I think I just put some photos, you said it all perfectly!!! Well done :)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Wow Sue. Very impressive and brilliant page on Torremolinos. You managed to see quite a bit in such a short time there. Well done.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Lovely pages Sue of a great time in Torremolinos. I'm just thinking about doing my pages.................

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for your Spanish greetings! I wish to be there to enjoy the playa and share some Guinness + tapas but it's skiing season now for me ;-)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 5:31 AM

A lovely page on my favourite Torremolinos :) I as well was going to add a tip on the "Gambar" thingy and had got information on it, but now I have totally forgot what it was meant to represent.

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2011 at 9:15 AM

What a fantastic page Sue. Excellent & well written. Thanks for the mentions (blushing) x

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Gorgeous page with brilliant photos of Torremolinos. I like the photo of you and the green boat, which Sonja took. The bathroom of the Matahambre Restaurant looks well worth a visit. *winkygrin*

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Fresh fish, sangria, sweets, teas and more...well, next year I will attend the meeting in Torremolinos if one will be planned. Ciao!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Torremolinos

Have you been to Torremolinos?

Latest Activity in Torremolinos