Sant Erasmo Off The Beaten Path Tips by suvanki
Sant Erasmo Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Vignole was once known as Isola delle Sette Vignole or The Island of Seven Vines. During the Serenismo times, the island was a place for day visits. Today it is important agriculturally
Vignole is reached by Vaporetto No 13 (From Venices Fondamente Nuove or Murano (Faro), which calls here before heading to Sant' Erasmo. I'm afraid that I didn't get to look around the island, but stopped at the vaporetto station each day as I travelled to and from Sant' Erasmo. Since my return home, I've learnt there is a very good restaurant - Ristorante Alle Vignole, which only opens in summer (Tel 041 5289707), which I would like to eat at one day.
Apparently there is a chapel on the island, plus private housing. I'm not sure if there is any accommodation for visitors.
UPDATE - I visited Vignole on Christmas Day 2009 - There wasn't much to see - most of the paths end at 'Private Property' signs! The Tratorria was closed, as was the small chapel (pic 4). It was pleasant enough to wander along the canal (pic 5) and take photos in the winter sun.
Hoping to try Alle Vignole at my next visit!
Lazzaretto Nuovo is one of the lagoons uninhabited islands. It was once a quarantine island for ships crews that had travelled in from faraway lands, which had the plague! During the Venetian plague in 1576, the island held 10,000 victims.
A reason to visit the island is to see the many archeological treasures, which date back to the late 1400s
For the past 30 years or more, the Island has been managed by a team of archeologists
Guided Visiting on Saturdays and Sundays between April and October 09.45 and 16.00hrs
No charge, but donation expected
Info on Lazzaretto Nuova
No. 13 Vaporetto from Fondamente Nuova to Sant' Erasmo- The 09.30 and 1530 get You there for the tour. Ask the Vaporetto conducter for Lazzoretto Nuova - it's a request stop - otherwise You'll go straight to Sant Erasmo and miss your visit.
I didn't get to visit the island during my stay on Sant' Erasmo, but hoping to do one day
Another LN link
More Reviews (10)
suvanki's Related Pages
Sant Erasmo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sant Erasmo
- Hotels in Sant Erasmo
- Transportation in Sant Erasmo
- Nightlife in Sant Erasmo
- Restaurants in Sant Erasmo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sant Erasmo
- 12 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Sant Erasmo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sant Erasmo
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most Amazing Balcony Views?"
- Commented on one of suvanki's Sant Erasmo travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vignole - Another Garden Island"
- updated a Sant Erasmo Travel Page "A relaxing place to stay or visit"
- Wrote a Review Lazzaretto Nuova in Sant Erasmo Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Sant ErasmoSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 160 reviews, 598 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos