"Lake Garda - Brenzone and Malcesine" Lago di Garda by suvanki
Lago di Garda Travel Guide: 471 reviews and 1,067 photos
Lake Garda is the Largest of the Italian Lakes. Its Western shore sits in Lombardy, whilst the Eastern side rests in Veneto. It is easily accessable by road and rail from Verona, Venice, Milan and many other cities.
La Gardesana is the name of the road that follows the shoreline of the lake for all of its 89 miles (143km)
Towns and villages are dotted along the shoreline - many of these are resorts catering to the many tourists who flock to enjoy the scenery, water sports, hiking, Spas and historical castles, churches and gardens. There is also a theme park and zoo with safari park for the young, or young at heart.
While planning my 12 day break to Italy, I realised that it was a long time since I'd enjoyed a relaxing holiday - so I decided to spend a few days doing very little on Lake Garda.
As I was travelling by bus or train, I had to take this into consideration, also, I was trying to keep to a budget.
Initially I'd looked into Peschiera or Desenzano, the train from Padova stopped here, and I could easily get to Verona, and back- as I'd intended to fulfil one of my dreams to see Aida performed in Verona.
As I read more, I set my heart on staying in Sirmione- it looked ideal- I booked a hotel on line which would have been perfect- next to the picturesque castle. However, I found out this was overbooked - time was running out, and the other hotels in Sirmione were out of my price range.
Another hotel caught my eye - a boutique hotel in Brenzone - Yes I could see Brenzone on the map, but nothing in my guide books, and very little when I googled Brenzone.
Well - it was on the bus route from Peschiera, and ferries stopped here- So, I took a deep breath and booked the hotel.
Well- I'm so pleased that the hotel in Sirmione was booked up-
Brenzone suited me nicely ! It was quite peaceful, not one of the tourist 'hot spots' so not overun with crowds. My hotel was ideally located, for views of the lake. A bonus was the food shops - Mmmmm! After spending a day in Malcesine, battling against the crowds in the harbour, I was relieved to return to the calm of Brenzone.
I also decided that I wouldn't visit Sirmione, as I guessed that would be as crowded, if not more so!
- Pros:Scenery, Sunsets, Mountains, Fresh Air!
- Cons:Some of the towns can be a bit crowded
- In a nutshell:Where You can do Lots or Nothing and have a Great time!
This is part of my reply to a Forum Question Besides the ferry service, there are buses. I caught the bus from... more travel advice
Midweek, I was laying in the sunshine, the only sound being the water lapping against the pebble beach, and a family of... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Lago di Garda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago di Garda"
- "LAGO DI GARDA"
- "A Mediterranean microclimate"
- "Welcome to Lago Land"
- "Lake Garda"
- "GARDALAND - FUN FOR YOUNG AND ... EVERYONE !"
- "Italy's largest and nicest lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago di Garda
- Hotels in Lago di Garda
- Transportation in Lago di Garda
- Nightlife in Lago di Garda
- Restaurants in Lago di Garda
- Shopping in Lago di Garda
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago di Garda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago di Garda
- 17 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Lago di Garda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago di Garda
Photos in Lago di GardaSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 621 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 102 reviews, 594 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 155 reviews, 517 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 38 reviews, 371 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (155)
Latest Lago di Garda hotel reviews
- Club da Baia Boutique Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2012