Lovere Off The Beaten Path Tips by suvanki
Lovere Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Descending Via Brighenti
Wandering around Lovere, we came across this interesting 'stairway' that linked 2 roads on different levels. The roof was of a traditional design, similar to some that I'd seen in the sotoportagos in Venice.
On one of the walls was a framed painting (pic 3) of an angel watching over 2 children crossing a bridge over a river in the mountains. Sadly a lot of local 'artists' had felt inspired to cover the frame and walls with grafitti.
Watching where I was walking - the steps were constructed from shiny pebbles and stones, I was quite shocked to see a hyperdermic syringe (pic 4) discarded on the steps, luckily it was sheathed. I'm guessing this is a bit of a 'no go area' after dark.
Descending onto Via Rizzo dei Santi, I noticed an inscription on the wall which had the dates sec. XV1 - XV11, which I guess means that it was constructed between the 16th and 17th Century.
Plaque honouring Vincenza Gerosa
On a wall, above a door way, I spotted this marble plaque, which appeared to be in honour of Vincentia Gerosa, I wasn't sure if this indicated where she was born or lived. A couple of attractive bunches of flowers tied with straw adourned the plaque, and there was a bas relief of Vincenza.
Well, I had no idea who she was, but since returning home, I now know that she was born in Lovere in 1784, and was named Caterina Gerosa. When she was 40 years old, she met the younger Bartolomea Capitanio (1807-1833). .They shared a concern for the ignorance and welfare of the people of Lovere, and set about founding a Roman Catholic order - The Sisters of Charity of Lovere, or The Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Saints B. Capitanio and V. Gerosa was opened on 21st November 1832. Caterina was now known as Sister Vincenza
Bartolomeo died the following year. Caterina outlived Bartolomea, and died on the 28th June 1847.
The 28th June is now recognised as Vincenza's feast day - Vincenza
They were both Beatified on the 30th May 1926, then canonized by the Roman Catholic Church on 18 May 1950 by Pope Pius XII
More Reviews (5)
suvanki's Related Pages
Lovere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Day Trip from Bergamo"
- "Lovere - Lago D' Iseo"
- "Lovere of Lake Iseo"
- " lovere "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lovere
- Hotels in Lovere
- Transportation in Lovere
- Restaurants in Lovere
- Shopping in Lovere
- See All...
Explore the World
- Benidorm Hotels
- Khanspur Hotels
- Harstine Island Hotels
- Springfield Hotels
- Denver Off The Beaten Path
- Bikaner Off The Beaten Path
- Shillong Off The Beaten Path
- Oregon Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Off The Beaten Path
- Liguria Off The Beaten Path
- Barry Island
- Bacolod City Off The Beaten Path
- Beijing Off The Beaten Path
- Niagara Falls Off The Beaten Path
- Lago di Garda & surroundings of the town
- Saint Augustine Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Lovere
- 7 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Lovere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lovere
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 157 reviews, 584 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 103 reviews, 599 photos, 22 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Lovere hotel reviews
- Ostello del Porto Harbour Youth Hostel
- 1 Review & Opinion