"Malcesine" Top 5 Page for this destination Malcesine by suvanki
Malcesine Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 209 photos
The Medieval town of Malcesine (approximately pronounced MalCHESinay) is situated on the North Eastern shores of Lake Garda in the Veneto region, and the province of Verona. It is 120km NW of Venice and 40km NW of Verona.
The town developed around the castles foot and is now one of Lake Garda's most visited towns. Historically, some of the visitors weren't welcome -Romans, Hungarians, Venetians, French and Austrians occupied the town through the years.
Nowadays, visitors are welcomed, with many restaurants, shops and hotels catering for the throngs of holidaymakers and day trippers who spill off the Lakes ferries or arrive by road from other towns and cities in Italy, or the neighbouring countries.
So, what is there to see and do in Malcesine?
I've started putting some of my tips and pics on Malcesine and Brenzone on my LAKE GARDA page
I visited Malcesine by ferry from Brenzone where I was staying. I was intending to visit Sirmione on the South shore, but hadn't been up early enough for the ferry. I saw that the ferry from Brenzone left for Malcesine at mid day, which would give me the chance to travel by ferry and have 5 hours to explore. One of my friends had raved about this town after her recent holiday, so I was looking forward to my visit.
After a relaxing and scenic 25 minute journey, I disembarked, along with many other passengers into the harbour. Blimey, after the peace and quiet of Brenzone, it was a bit of a shock to be thrust into the bustle and crowds of Malcesine. OK, it wasn't like landing in Saint Marks Square in Venice, but it was still quite busy!
- Pros:Harbour town with a castle- Handy base for exploring the Lake and Mountains
- Cons:Can get busy when ferries dock
- In a nutshell:Scenic setting, enveloped by the Lake and Mountains
The Church of Saint Stephen - The Patron Saint of Malcesine, was built on the site of an ancient pagan temple which was... more travel advice
Although there were some stunning views from the tower of Castello Scaligero of the Lake and mountains, I was... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Malcesine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favourite place on Lake Garda"
- "Malcesine - position, position, position"
- "Malcesine - A historic little town on Lake Garda"
- "lake garda"
- "Malcesine, Lake Garda - best town to be in"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malcesine
- Hotels in Malcesine
- Transportation in Malcesine
- Restaurants in Malcesine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malcesine
- 10 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Malcesine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malcesine
Photos in MalcesineSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 160 reviews, 598 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos