"Malcesine" Top 5 Page for this destination Malcesine by suvanki

Malcesine Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 209 photos

Malcesine

The Medieval town of Malcesine (approximately pronounced MalCHESinay) is situated on the North Eastern shores of Lake Garda in the Veneto region, and the province of Verona. It is 120km NW of Venice and 40km NW of Verona.

The town developed around the castles foot and is now one of Lake Garda's most visited towns. Historically, some of the visitors weren't welcome -Romans, Hungarians, Venetians, French and Austrians occupied the town through the years.

Nowadays, visitors are welcomed, with many restaurants, shops and hotels catering for the throngs of holidaymakers and day trippers who spill off the Lakes ferries or arrive by road from other towns and cities in Italy, or the neighbouring countries.

So, what is there to see and do in Malcesine?

I've started putting some of my tips and pics on Malcesine and Brenzone on my LAKE GARDA page

My visit to Malcesine

I visited Malcesine by ferry from Brenzone where I was staying. I was intending to visit Sirmione on the South shore, but hadn't been up early enough for the ferry. I saw that the ferry from Brenzone left for Malcesine at mid day, which would give me the chance to travel by ferry and have 5 hours to explore. One of my friends had raved about this town after her recent holiday, so I was looking forward to my visit.

After a relaxing and scenic 25 minute journey, I disembarked, along with many other passengers into the harbour. Blimey, after the peace and quiet of Brenzone, it was a bit of a shock to be thrust into the bustle and crowds of Malcesine. OK, it wasn't like landing in Saint Marks Square in Venice, but it was still quite busy!

• Pros:Harbour town with a castle- Handy base for exploring the Lake and Mountains
  • Cons:Can get busy when ferries dock
  • In a nutshell:Scenic setting, enveloped by the Lake and Mountains
  • Last visit to Malcesine: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2011

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I hope to go back there tomorrow.

Ciao!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Sep 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I hope that You have a Great time there Maurizio! The Osterio I mentioned is worth a visit! Looking forward to hearing all about your visit.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I really wish we would not have missed on our visit to this fine village and the Scaligeros get around a lot. The scenery is magnificent and you made good comments.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I'm going there tomorrow. Ciao!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM

How pathetic that your tips aren't in the top 5 - shame on the ratings system! Hope I've gone some way to rectifying that.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2008 at 1:31 PM

You're good and you were first!!!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Malcesine

Have you been to Malcesine?

Latest Activity in Malcesine