"Penmaenpool -" Penmaenpool by suvanki

Penmaenpool Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 31 photos

Penmaenpool

Penmaenpool (pronounced Pen-mine-pool) or Pwll Penmaen is a is a pleasant hamlet on the estuary of the River Mawddach.

We discovered it on our drive from Dolgellau to Barmouth, as we crossed the wooden toll bridge. On our return journey, we parked up in the carpark on the Dolgellau side of the bridge to take a few photos - oh and enjoy a cold drink at the George 111 Hotel!

Nearby, is Penmaenuchaf Hall, which was the the country residence of John Leigh Taylor, a Lancashire entrepeneur. It is now a luxury Country House Hotel (complete with its own heli-pad)!

Penmaenpool,originated as an estate for the workers, with terraced workers cottages, a model farm and a railway station.
The workers of the Penmaenpool Bridge Company, built the impressive wooden toll bridge in 1879, to replace the ferry service.

Penmaenpool is a photogenic spot, that attracts walkers, cyclists and ornithologists.

This is a starting point for the 49km circular walk -'The Mawddach Way', as well as being part of the Dolgellau to Arthog walk/cycle path, that follows the old Cambrian Railway line. This is known as the Mawddach Trail or Railway Walk.

It's difficult to imagine that such a peaceful spot witnessed a tragedy. On 22nd July 1966, a boat carrying passengers from Barmouth crashed into the toll bridge. Out of 39 passengers, 15were killed, including 4 children.

Penmaenpool is 6km from Dolgellau and 10km from Barmouth and can be reached by road, foot/cycle path or by boat.

The toll bridge links the the A496, with the A493 at Penmaenpool on the South of the valley.
There is free car parking here

The Dolgellau - Machynlleth bus stops here and the Dolgellau to Barmouth bus service is easily accessed by taking the short walk over the toll bridge to Taicynhaeaf.

Although there is a signal box and signals, there is no longer a railway service. Opened on 3rd July 1865, Penmaenpool station closed on 18th January 1965.
The car park occupies the former station site, while the station master's house, ticket office & waiting room form part of the annexe to the George 111 Hotel. The former railline forms part of the Mawddach trail.

• Pros:Peaceful, scenic with good connections
  • Cons:Didn't find any - but we were here for a short while in good weather!
  • In a nutshell:A lovely spot, I'll be back!
  • Last visit to Penmaenpool: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2012

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Sue, lovely little page about this Welsh gem. Although I visited Wales three times, I must admit that I have never really heard of Penmaenpool. I especially like the Penmaenpool Toll Bridge.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Apr 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thanks for visiting my Penmaenpool page (and for the ratings?) Much appreciated! Yes, it was a lovely spot to chill out during our VT Welsh camping weekend! Oh that bridge is well worth a visit!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I haven't even downloaded my photos yet! Great little page! Gillybob greetings

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Aug 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Thanks! Still got more to add. I really liked this place. Looking forward to seeing Yours, Vickis and Alyson's page!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Penmaenpool

Have you been to Penmaenpool?

Latest Activity in Penmaenpool