"Dolgellau" Dolgellau by suvanki

Dolgellau Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 241 photos

Officially, Dolgellau means Meadow of Groves - an alternative would be The place where you can be guaranteed rain!

Dolgellau is an attractive market town located at the foot of the Cader Idris mountain range in south Snowdonia. Narrow winding streets are lined with grey stone and slate roofed buildings, that link up squares around the town.

Many of the shops are independently owned, selling quality food and other goods. Restaurants, pubs and tea rooms cater to locals and the many visitors.

Dolgellau originated as a village in the twelfth century. There is evidence of a Roman settlement, as coins were found by Ffynnon Mair-Marys Spring, over 200 years ago.
The Church of St Marys was built on the site of a 12th Century church around 1716.

We learned quite a bit about Dolgellaus history as we followed 'The Dolgellau Town Trail' (available to download from TI website, or purchase a copy for £1)

Dolgellau - Myfanwes VT Camping weekend (s)

August 2010, Six of us (Myfanwe, Mustertal, Gwynfiguy, Gillybob, davesut and myself) visited Dolgellau during Vicki s (Myfanwe) annual VT Camping Weekend., where we stayed at Bontnewydd on the excellent Dolgamedd camp site

It was my first time at a VT camping meet, and my second visit to Dolgellau (The previous time which was 'years ago' was also a camping holiday - with my now ex-in laws, who insisted that we were stopping in Dol-ge- looo, which I now understand is pronounced more like Dol-geth- lye)

During the weekend we visited the town of Dolgellau and Cymer Abbey as well as Barmouth

August 2011

Myfanwe, Gillybob, muguruki, Lily and myself met up at Dolgamedd .
On the Saturday we headed to the Talyllyn Railway at Dol-goch, then found a pleasant lakeside hotel for lunch, before heading back to Dolgamedd via Dolgellau.

August 2012

Myfanwe, Gillybob, alyf1961 and myself camped up at Dolgamedd - sadly Mustertal and Gwynfiguy had to cancel at the last minute.
Once again we were treated to heavy rain. After brunch on Saturday we headed to Barmouth, where the sun was waiting for us - hoorah!

August 2013

This year, Myfanwe, Gillybob and myself were joined by davesut for just the Friday night.
Sunshine greeted us, though Vicki had to battle through floods on her way from Cardiff.
Saturday, after Breakfast and Mr Suts departure, the rain arrived! We spent a few soggy hours in Llanuwchllyn and Bala, travelling between the two by steam train.
Back at camp the rain finally stopped in time for our camp fire and food.
Typically, the sunshine was back Sunday!

• Pros:Attractive market town, with interesting architecture.
  • Cons:Come prepared for rain...
  • In a nutshell:Well worth a visit...
  • Last visit to Dolgellau: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 24, 2013

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM

It seems to me that it was all Daves fault it rained!!

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Aug 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Yes Gareth, seems to be a pattern emerging - 3 years ago we arrived to rain - Mr Sut arrives and the sun comes out - This year, he leaves and co-incidentally the rain arrives :-(

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Tesco camping airbeds on half price - I got one this weekend! Gillybob greetings

• Nov 28, 2010 at 5:31 AM

Hi Sue, love the photo! We'll have a holiday rental room from next April. Best regards, Vanessa and Tyler (Lion Cottage, Dolgellau)

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Heya Sue, Really enjoyed re-living the camping meet, great tips!!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Sue, lovely little page about the gorgeous camping VT meeting in Gwynedd.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Good to see you found the ex-hardware shop turned Cafe. I've even done a tip on it! Best wishes, Mike

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2010 at 11:49 PM

A tent with a vt flag!! :o) I like that! Thanks for the bd wishes Sue. Maybe we will meet in Paris next year. Hugs, Ann :o)

suvanki Visits Here Frequently!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Dolgellau

Have you been to Dolgellau?

Latest Activity in Dolgellau