"Dolgellau" Dolgellau by suvanki
Dolgellau Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 241 photos
Officially, Dolgellau means Meadow of Groves - an alternative would be The place where you can be guaranteed rain!
Dolgellau is an attractive market town located at the foot of the Cader Idris mountain range in south Snowdonia. Narrow winding streets are lined with grey stone and slate roofed buildings, that link up squares around the town.
Many of the shops are independently owned, selling quality food and other goods. Restaurants, pubs and tea rooms cater to locals and the many visitors.
Dolgellau originated as a village in the twelfth century. There is evidence of a Roman settlement, as coins were found by Ffynnon Mair-Marys Spring, over 200 years ago.
The Church of St Marys was built on the site of a 12th Century church around 1716.
We learned quite a bit about Dolgellaus history as we followed 'The Dolgellau Town Trail' (available to download from TI website, or purchase a copy for £1)
August 2010, Six of us (Myfanwe, Mustertal, Gwynfiguy, Gillybob, davesut and myself) visited Dolgellau during Vicki s (Myfanwe) annual VT Camping Weekend., where we stayed at Bontnewydd on the excellent Dolgamedd camp site
It was my first time at a VT camping meet, and my second visit to Dolgellau (The previous time which was 'years ago' was also a camping holiday - with my now ex-in laws, who insisted that we were stopping in Dol-ge- looo, which I now understand is pronounced more like Dol-geth- lye)
During the weekend we visited the town of Dolgellau and Cymer Abbey as well as Barmouth
Myfanwe, Gillybob, muguruki, Lily and myself met up at Dolgamedd .
On the Saturday we headed to the Talyllyn Railway at Dol-goch, then found a pleasant lakeside hotel for lunch, before heading back to Dolgamedd via Dolgellau.
Myfanwe, Gillybob, alyf1961 and myself camped up at Dolgamedd - sadly Mustertal and Gwynfiguy had to cancel at the last minute.
Once again we were treated to heavy rain. After brunch on Saturday we headed to Barmouth, where the sun was waiting for us - hoorah!
This year, Myfanwe, Gillybob and myself were joined by davesut for just the Friday night.
Sunshine greeted us, though Vicki had to battle through floods on her way from Cardiff.
Saturday, after Breakfast and Mr Suts departure, the rain arrived! We spent a few soggy hours in Llanuwchllyn and Bala, travelling between the two by steam train.
Back at camp the rain finally stopped in time for our camp fire and food.
Typically, the sunshine was back Sunday!
- Pros:Attractive market town, with interesting architecture.
- Cons:Come prepared for rain...
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit...
There are good public bus services in this area, many, which connect to the train service. Regular buses leave... more travel advice
No. 8. We managed to miss points 6 (One of the few brick buildings in Dolgellau) and 7 (The Old Town Hall on the Town... more travel advice
Written Aug 24, 2013
2013 Myfanwes Camping Weekend 16th-18th August
Written Aug 24, 2013
2013 Myfanwes Camping Weekend -Saturday- Breakfast
Written Aug 24, 2013
2013 Myfanwes Camping Meet - Saturday Evening
Written Aug 21, 2012
2012 - Myfanwes Camping Weekend 17-19th August
suvanki's Related Pages
Dolgellau Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Dolgellau
- Hotels in Dolgellau
- Transportation in Dolgellau
- Restaurants in Dolgellau
- Shopping in Dolgellau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dolgellau
- 10 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Dolgellau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dolgellau
Photos in DolgellauSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 160 reviews, 598 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos