"Tremezzo -" Tremezzo by suvanki

Tremezzo Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 180 photos

Tremezzo - Back after 34 years

Back in 1978, when I first visited Lake Como, I stayed in Cadenabbia - a stones throw from Tremezzo, so it was a place that I visited quite a bit during my 2 trips of consecutive years.

Fast forward to 2012, and I find myself staying in the same hotel (Different name, and like myself had expanded somewhat over the decades)

I was curious to re-visit Tremezzo, to see if I could remember anything of the place- having been surprised how little I remembered of 1978's Menaggio and Belaggio which I'd visited the previous day.

Well I remembered Villa Carlotta (from the outside - I never ventured inside, and didn't have any intention of doing so today - especially when I saw the number of visitors swarming around the gardens and balconies!) It is recognised as one of the most beautiful Villas on the Lakeside, and is of course a magnet for tour groups who arrive by the coach load - although public transport allows for individuals to visit too. It is unusual in that not only the grounds, but the Villa too is open to the public.

Again, quite a bit of the small village was unfamiliar, but I did recognise the arcaded restaurant area. Now, I did remember that there used to be a Watneys Red Barrel hanging over the entrance - No longer there!

I did enjoy my short lakeside stroll to Tremezzo, but I was disappointed to find that the Tourist Info Office and the church were both closed (Early afternoon on a Wednesday)

Tremezzo as a base

Tremezzo is probably best used as a base for exploring Lake Como, and nearby towns. It is on the bus route for Milan, and has a Ferry port, for passenger and car ferries.

As well as the aforementioned Villa Carlotta, Tremezzo is dominated by its Grand Hotel Tremezzo, which I'm guessing is popular with tour groups/coach trippers etc.
There is a smattering of restaurants/bars, but probably appeals more to the 'more mature' traveller.

• Last visit to Tremezzo: Jun 2012
  • Intro Written Jun 26, 2012

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Tremezzo

Have you been to Tremezzo?

Latest Activity in Tremezzo