"Varenna - Lakeside village with charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Varenna by suvanki

Varenna Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 223 photos

Visiting Varenna

Varenna was our 'Gateway' to Lake Como, where we'd travelled by train from Bergamo (changing at Lecco). We spent a pleasant hour or so here, enjoying a leisurely lunch, before catching the ferry to Cadenabbia, where we were staying for 3 nights.

We returned here the following day, for a look around in between visiting Menaggio and Belaggio.

We'd been surprised to overhear a woman state that "There was nothing to see at Varenna" - Well I'm afraid that she was wrong!

Yes, there are no amusement parks, big shops etc, but there are small independent shops selling crafts, paintings etc, plus a smattering of lakeside restaurants, reached by a pleasant walkway. Steep narrow stepped alleyways, lined with bright red geraniums, oh and a historic church or two and a castle!

A place to relax, enjoy a leisurely meal, while enjoying the beautiful lakeside scenery. We didn't explore too much, but it's a place that I would return to, and hopefully visit the churches (especially after reading leics' page)

• Pros:Scenic former fishing village
  • Last visit to Varenna: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2012

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Surely the name "working Lucia" comes from the book "I promessi sposi" by A. Manzoni. Lucia is one of the two characters of this story.

Ciao!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
      May 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM

..I think I have seen that kind of boat in a tv movie taken from that book long ago.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hey Sue, we had beers at Bar Il Molo too.... clearly a case of deja brew!! ;-) Karl

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Don't worry, next time will be my turn! Thanks for the visits (and ratings). I'm trying to go through and catch up on lots of old trip tips - keep me enthused and all that! Gillybob greetings

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Varenna

Have you been to Varenna?

Latest Activity in Varenna