"Varenna - Lakeside village with charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Varenna by suvanki
Varenna Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 223 photos
Varenna was our 'Gateway' to Lake Como, where we'd travelled by train from Bergamo (changing at Lecco). We spent a pleasant hour or so here, enjoying a leisurely lunch, before catching the ferry to Cadenabbia, where we were staying for 3 nights.
We returned here the following day, for a look around in between visiting Menaggio and Belaggio.
We'd been surprised to overhear a woman state that "There was nothing to see at Varenna" - Well I'm afraid that she was wrong!
Yes, there are no amusement parks, big shops etc, but there are small independent shops selling crafts, paintings etc, plus a smattering of lakeside restaurants, reached by a pleasant walkway. Steep narrow stepped alleyways, lined with bright red geraniums, oh and a historic church or two and a castle!
A place to relax, enjoy a leisurely meal, while enjoying the beautiful lakeside scenery. We didn't explore too much, but it's a place that I would return to, and hopefully visit the churches (especially after reading leics' page)
- Pros:Scenic former fishing village
When I first visited Lake Como in 1978, I remembered seeing these canopied boats, known as Lucia's bobbing around the... more travel advice
Varenna is an interesting village to explore on foot. From the train station, it's a downhill walk. There is a pleasant... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Varenna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very pretty...."
- "An idyllic little town on Lago di Como"
- "Varenna - Lakeside village with charm"
- "Varenna, Lake Como's finest"
- "Varenna - Diamond of the Lake"
- "Lakeside Location"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varenna
- Hotels in Varenna
- Transportation in Varenna
- Restaurants in Varenna
- Warnings and Dangers in Varenna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varenna
- 7 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Varenna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varenna
- Posted in Travel Dublin Forum "Re: Itinerary for 3-days' stay"
- Commented on one of Gillybob's Varenna travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Crossing the Lake"
- Wrote a Review Traditional Rowing or Fishing Boats in Varenna Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Varenna
- updated a Varenna Travel Page "Varenna - Lakeside village with charm"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 170 reviews, 624 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos