"Agdz - (ag-a-dez)" Agdz by suvanki
Agdz Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 96 photos
Agdz is a small town, - ( a military town, which used to have a sizeable Jewish population, who were predominant in agriculture, commerce and metalworking) with a few shops, restaurants and hotels. Apparently there are a few carpet shops here!
Situated about halfway between Ouarzazate and Zagora, this town is utilised as a base for visiting the Draa Valley, or as a refreshment stop. There is a market held here too.
I visited this town (or rather passed through) twice as part of my tour, both times stopping for lunch at the Hotel Restaurant Draa.
The photogenic Jebel (Arabic for hill/mountain) Kissane is also known as Mount Tagine, due to its resemblence to the characteristic piling up of ingredients in this national dish!
From my photo you can see the palm grove (palmeraie), many of which can be seen before arriving in Agdz. The green foliage is an indication of the relatively good irrigation of the valley in this area. Dates, olives, almonds and citrus fruit are grown here. The most fertile area is the 100km stretch of road from Agdz to Zagora
The Draa River is one of the longest rivers in Morocco. Originating in the High Atlas Mountains, it's waters used to wind through the mountains and deserts, until they poured out into the Atlantic Ocean. However, nowadays, even after the snow in the mountains has melted, the force of water usually only makes it as far as the desert sands. (The last recorded flow of the full course was in 1989, when flash floods occured)
- Pros:Where else would you see a Tagine Mountain?
- Cons:Wasn't here long enough to find any
- In a nutshell:A good base for exploring the Draa Valley
suvanki's Related Pages
Agdz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Agdz - (ag-a-dez)"
- "Beauty of Agdz"
- "busy Market town in the Draa Valley"
- "Agdz in the Draa Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agdz
- Hotels in Agdz
- Transportation in Agdz
- Nightlife in Agdz
- Restaurants in Agdz
- Shopping in Agdz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agdz
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Agdz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agdz
Photos in AgdzSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 171 reviews, 629 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos