"Rock (s,and) The Kasbah(s)" El Goumt du Dades by suvanki

El Goumt du Dades Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 191 photos

Valley of A Thousand Kasbahs and Dades Gorge

Although it's taken me quite a while to start adding my tips and pics to this page, I still have happy memories of this part of Morocco, and my day out. So hopefully I'll soon have some useful info for those of you planning a visit here, or something of interest for those who are reminiscing about a previous trip.

I visited this area on a day trip, with a guide.

Leaving Ouarzazate at just after 0900hrs, we headed eastwardly.

The Dades Valley is also known as the Valley of A Thousand Kasbahs, due to the line of many kasbahs that begins just before the next town of Skoura.

The Berber kasbahs are different to kasbahs in other parts of the Islamic world. The non- Berber kasbahs were incorporated into the city walls as part of the housing for the military personnel, later becoming residences for the feudal rulers (when they were made more comfortable, with baths and rooms to receive important guests). They then evolved into status symbols, as Palaces, decorated and furnished in opulent style.

Berber Kasbahs are more austere, again their purpose was a fortification, but instead of being constructed with the city walls, they were separate structures, built by the local 'big wig' to protect his small garrisons.
Made of pise (mud bricks, covered with mud) they are square or rectangular in shape.

The Berber ksar, is often mistakenly referred to as a Kasbah.

A ksar is a fortified village, held within fortified walls, reached through a single entrance and covered alleyway. It is constantly evolving, with expansion when necessary, involving extensions to the wall, with new entrance ways.

• Pros:Stunning scenery!
  • Cons:Watch out for sudden bad weather!!
  • In a nutshell:One of my favourite days out!!
  • Last visit to El Goumt du Dades: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2008

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM

A really interesting page, Sue, great to see these Casbahs and the winding roads through Dades Gorge !

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Hey great page Sue!! ...The thunderstorm story was a bit scary!!.... We will be there in September next year. ....can't wait!! :o) Enjoyed the read mate! Hugs xx

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Sue, great page of the Dades Valley. Beautiful pictures and nice descriptions of your trip. Last year we walked under the monkey fingers in the snow.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM

interesting Fatima figures, seemingly in the middle of nowhere! Wow, you really went around this country! -- I can't see the monkey paws though - I need more imagination, hehehe Norman :)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Hi somehow yr pg escaped me til now!nice to see yr exploits here-one of my favourite and frequent visited places luckily!Right about the weather-had my share of adventure with flooded roads and rivers and having to cross them etc!great memories to add!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in El Goumt du Dades

Have you been to El Goumt du Dades?

Latest Activity in El Goumt du Dades