"Rock (s,and) The Kasbah(s)" El Goumt du Dades by suvanki
El Goumt du Dades Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 191 photos
Although it's taken me quite a while to start adding my tips and pics to this page, I still have happy memories of this part of Morocco, and my day out. So hopefully I'll soon have some useful info for those of you planning a visit here, or something of interest for those who are reminiscing about a previous trip.
I visited this area on a day trip, with a guide.
Leaving Ouarzazate at just after 0900hrs, we headed eastwardly.
The Dades Valley is also known as the Valley of A Thousand Kasbahs, due to the line of many kasbahs that begins just before the next town of Skoura.
The Berber kasbahs are different to kasbahs in other parts of the Islamic world. The non- Berber kasbahs were incorporated into the city walls as part of the housing for the military personnel, later becoming residences for the feudal rulers (when they were made more comfortable, with baths and rooms to receive important guests). They then evolved into status symbols, as Palaces, decorated and furnished in opulent style.
Berber Kasbahs are more austere, again their purpose was a fortification, but instead of being constructed with the city walls, they were separate structures, built by the local 'big wig' to protect his small garrisons.
Made of pise (mud bricks, covered with mud) they are square or rectangular in shape.
The Berber ksar, is often mistakenly referred to as a Kasbah.
A ksar is a fortified village, held within fortified walls, reached through a single entrance and covered alleyway. It is constantly evolving, with expansion when necessary, involving extensions to the wall, with new entrance ways.
- Pros:Stunning scenery!
- Cons:Watch out for sudden bad weather!!
- In a nutshell:One of my favourite days out!!
I carried a day sac, for my day trip. This is trekking country, so you might need a ruck sack. Sturdy boots or walking... more travel advice
As we approached the Gorge, after negotiating the photogenic hair pin bends, the sky, which had been getting darker by... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
El Goumt du Dades Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Loveliest maximised scenery drive in Morocco!?"
- "Rock (s,and) The Kasbah(s)"
- "Dades Valley"
- "Dades Valley"
- "Gorges du Dadès and the area"
- "Cliffs like fingers...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Goumt du Dades
- Hotels in El Goumt du Dades
- Restaurants in El Goumt du Dades
- Warnings and Dangers in El Goumt du Dades
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Goumt du Dades
- 12 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to El Goumt du Dades?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Goumt du Dades
Photos in El Goumt du DadesSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 171 reviews, 626 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos