Marrakesh Transportation Tips by suvanki Top 5 Page for this destination
Marrakesh Transportation: 169 reviews and 182 photos
Marrakesh Tourist Bus
Although I'd visited Marrakech the previous year, and knew my way around, I decided to buy a ticket (130dh)
This ticket is valid for 24 hours from time of purchase, from attendants standing nearby at popular spots, or from the driver. (Time your purchase if there is a crowd, and no bus in sight, or you could lose 30 minutes or so)
Your ticket price includes headphones for the taped commentary (8 languages) and 10% off tours in the other cities through Europe and USA (only Marrakech in Africa in 2006) - I Used this in Granada later in the year, with 10% off. I've since used this service again in Granada, Padua and Valencia
There are 2 routes- The City Monuments (from 0900 - 19.30 approx every 20 - 30 mins), and the Marrakesh Romantique (No recorded info)(0930, 10.30.12.00 and 13.30)
I'd advise doing the Romantique first, as the times are a bit limited. This covers Jardins Majorelle and The Palmeraies.
The Marrakech Monumental passes by most of the main attractions. I did this as the tour first, then used it as a hop on hop off for the rest of the day, and the next morning.
Remember your sun screen/hat if sitting on the upper level!
I think there is wheelchair access, the one in Granada lowered its steps for this purpose.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 024339637 fax -0024433544
Koutoubia Mosque at night, Marrakesh
I travelled as part of a package deal through Panorama Holidays from London Gatwick direct to Marrakesh.
At present, and as far as I know, the only direct flights to Marrakesh from the UK are via Gatwick or Heathrow.
For any fellow Northeners, Manchester offers direct flights to Agadir only at present.
Well my flight was by GBA, and the staff / service was great. So although I have to travel to London, I would use this service again.
My 2nd visit to Marrakesh was in September 06, booked with Easy Jet, for a bargain 37GBP Gatwick to Marrakesh, 73 GBP M'Kesh to G'wick inc. taxes etc.
*****I'm still hoping for a cheap direct flight from a Northern UK airport one day soon!!!
The airport in Marrakesh is only about 10 - 15 minutes away from the city - you can see the Koutoubia mosque quite clearly illuminated at night from here!
Wall painting, Marrakesh
On foot is the best way to get around Marrakesh's centre. Through the Souks, Medina, Mellah area, your walking tour will find many hidden corners and sights that you can't reach by taxi or car, or that you'd miss as you whizzed past!
So, comfy shoes on and just lose yourself in the labrynth of the many alleyways and roads of Marrakesh!
Don't forget to look up as well as straight in front- there are lots of 'hidden treasures'
Don't get worried that You'll not find your way out- theres always someone to direct you to 'the square' or the nearest landmark.
Riding on a Caleche, Marrakesh
The horse drawn carriages are known as caleches and are seen all over Marrakesh, lined up waiting for customers near the sights, or winding between the busy traffic.
I hired one from near Djemma el Fnaa, to take me to Les Jardins Majorelle. The driver pointed out a price list. 80dh for an hour. I think it was 11dh for a single trip within the medina, 15dh for a single journey outside the walls. Check first though.
Soon we were trotting along the roads of Marrakesh, jammed between the petrol fuelled vehicles. We then turned off into a quieter area with orange trees growing in the gardens of large detached houses.
Arriving at the gardens, my driver indicated where he'd be waiting and his carriage number.
I looked around the gardens, which was a pleasant experience, but I wasn't sure of how long I'd been there (I rarely wear a watch on holiday) so I didn't get to visit the museum, but I intended to return later in my stay.
I returned to my caleche, and we clip clopped back to Djemma el Fnaa. I'd had longer than an hour, so I was expected to pay more, (I think 160dh) but as I didn't have this money in change, the driver just smiled and accepted 100dh.
I found this a great way to travel around, but some people may be a bit upset by the way that these drivers use a whip to speed their horses along. It can also be a bit nerve wracking, winding amongst cars, bikes lorries etc, but the horses seem quite untroubled.
Petits taxis , Marrakesh
I found that the petit taxis were a handy way of getting around Marrakesh. I never had to wait long until one appeared, just flag them down or go to the nearest taxi rank.
Some drivers use their meters, but as a general rule, in the day time, travel around the city is 10dh, at night it's 20dh.
Some drivers will ask for 20dh(or even more!) in daytime, but after a couple of days I was wise to this, and had the right money to hand over.
As with all services in Morocco, a tip is expected.
I found that when I started trying out my newly learnt Arabic words such as Shukran bezzef (Thank you very much), and afak (please) I was charged the lower price automatically.
More Reviews (97)
- See All Palace El Badi (2) Koutoubia Minbar.
- See All Pleasant place to stop for a cooling...
- See All Not the most welcoming hotel
- See All Moroccan Cooking- pots, oils and spices
- See All Off The Beaten Track - bargain shopping!
suvanki's Related Pages
Marrakesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakech"
- "Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!"
- "Red City of Marrakech"
- "A “break” in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakesh"
- "Marrakech - the Pink City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Hotels in Marrakesh
- Transportation in Marrakesh
- Nightlife in Marrakesh
- Restaurants in Marrakesh
- Shopping in Marrakesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh
- See All...
Explore the World
- Phillaur Hotels
- Rosemary Beach Hotels
- Cowes Hotels
- Florence Hotels
Badges & Stats in Marrakesh
- 102 Reviews
- 243 Photos
- 79 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Marrakesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marrakesh
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Are your friends, really your..."
- Commented on one of suvanki's Marrakesh travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to the Arabian Nights! (Their logo!)"
- updated a Marrakesh Travel Page "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- Wrote a Review Palace El Badi (2) Koutoubia Minbar. about El Badi Palace in Marrakesh Things to Do
Photos in MarrakeshSee All Photos (243)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 157 reviews, 584 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 103 reviews, 599 photos, 22 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Marrakesh hotel reviews
- La Maison des Oliviers
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Ryad Mogador Hotel Marrakesh
- 273 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Residence Amina
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Les Cinq Djellabas
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
- 1956 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Palmeraie Village Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Palmeraie Golf Palace & Resort
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Dar Donab
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Riad 107
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Riad BB Marrakech
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Riad Dar One
- 404 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Central Palace
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- La Gazelle
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2012
- Riad Rahba Marrakech
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013
- Djamaa El Fna - Square- 128 Reviews, 258 Photos
- Souks- 43 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Majorelle Gardens- 45 Reviews, 137 Photos
- El Bahia Palace- 41 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Koutoubia Minaret & Koutoubia Gardens- 52 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Medina- 32 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Saadian Tombs- 37 Reviews, 81 Photos
- El Badi Palace- 25 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Menara Gardens- 13 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Mederssa Ben Youssef- 36 Reviews, 90 Photos
See All Marrakesh Things to Do