Telouet Shopping Tips by suvanki
Telouet Shopping: 3 reviews and 13 photos
Carpet Shop sign Telouet
We stopped here after visiting the kasbah, Apparently some of our party had requested a visit to a carpet shop!!! I braced myself - I've perfected my "I'm not buying a carpet Thank-You" skills after years of travelling around Turkey. Whilst working as a Holiday Rep there, I sat through numerous 'carpet demonstrations' However, I still enjoy listening to how the carpets are made, and learning about the patterns and colours
We sat sipping our mint tea while roll upon roll of carpets and rugs were unfurled. This time though it was quite interesting. I did learn some new things about the locally made works of art. I.e what the various symbols represent, why some carpets have an unfinished edge, what Granny carpets are, and about wedding carpets. I'll try and explain later in my local customs tips
Some of our party did want to buy something, in fact they took so long, we were late setting off for Tighza our next destination. We returned the next day for those who'd bought carpets to pick up their neatly packaged bundles.
What to buy: Carpets, rugs, kilims/ hanbels, Glaouas or Zanafis. You can also purchase jewellery here.
Our guide recommended that we would be better purchasing carpets at this shop rather than in Marrakech, as the prices were better, and this was a reputable place to shop. (Yes, I'd be cynical too normally, but it was our party that asked to visit a carpet shop, and not the guide suggesting it- Check VTer Angiebabe for more info about this carpet shop - she knows it very well
One of our group had purchased a carpet in Marrakech before the tour started, and realised she'd been ripped off, after hearing the prices of the carpets here. So she managed to stop the payment going through, and managed to sort out a better price on our return to Marrakech
What to pay: How good are Your haggling skills??? Check out prices in fixed price shops to get an idea. Decide what You can afford and stick to it!
Directions: On the road leading down to the kasbah, with the kasbah on your right.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (12)
suvanki's Related Pages
Telouet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rather lovely Telouet"
- "Telouet - Kasbah and (Magic) Carpets"
- "Wonderful kasbah"
- "Kasbah of Telouet"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Telouet
- Hotels in Telouet
- Transportation in Telouet
- Nightlife in Telouet
- Restaurants in Telouet
- Shopping in Telouet
- Warnings and Dangers in Telouet
- See All...
Explore the World
- Banff Hotels
- Simpang Pulai Hotels
- Adamstown Hotels
- Washington State
- Mohonk Lake Hotels
Badges & Stats in Telouet
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Telouet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Telouet
Photos in TelouetSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 621 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 102 reviews, 594 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 155 reviews, 517 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 38 reviews, 371 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos