"Telouet - Kasbah and (Magic) Carpets" Telouet by suvanki
Telouet Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 282 photos
Telouet lies on the banks of the Mellah river, (which is named after low lying salt deposits found in this area).
Telouet was once a major stopping post for camel caravans on the Marrakesh to Sahara trade route. Salt was carried outwards - at one time its value was equal to Gold in weight for weight, the traders then returned from as far as Mauritania and Sudan with Gold and Ivory.
Salt mines in the area have provided back breaking employment for centuries. The Glaoui Dynasty made their initial wealth from salt.
Carpet making is another source of income for the inhabitants of this isolated town.
A few pensions and cafes cater for the tourists that venture here, many just travel to see the kasbah, either independently or as part of a group.
There is a weekly market that brings traders from the outlaying area
I wasn't quite sure why such an important Glaoui stronghold was built where it was, being off the beaten track. I've since realised that it was because this was one of the important points on the camel caravan route, long before the road over the Tizi n Tichka pass was built.
Although I didn't get to see as much of Telouet as I would have liked, I'd recommend a visit here.
- Pros:Well worth a Visit! Non- touristy town.
- Cons:A shame that the kasbah is being allowed to fall into ruin
- In a nutshell:See this Kasbah soon - it may not be around for long!
Eventually the carpets had been chosen, haggled over and a price agreed. So we left the carpet shop (We'd return again... more travel advice
Opposite the Kasbah, I noticed this small building with a teracotta and green tiled roof, there didn't appear to be any... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Telouet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rather lovely Telouet"
- "Telouet - Kasbah and (Magic) Carpets"
- "Wonderful kasbah"
- "Kasbah of Telouet"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Telouet
- Hotels in Telouet
- Transportation in Telouet
- Nightlife in Telouet
- Restaurants in Telouet
- Shopping in Telouet
- Warnings and Dangers in Telouet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Telouet
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Telouet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Telouet
Photos in TelouetSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 165 reviews, 611 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos