"Tighza" Tighza by suvanki

Tighza Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 38 photos

Tighza

Tighza is an ideal base for trekking and experiencing some of Moroccan village life.

I visited this village as part of Exodus Travels 'Marrakesh and The Sahara ' Tour. After visiting Telouet, we drove for about 20 minutes, then stopped to transfer our overnight bags to mules, while we walked uphill for about an hour to our overnight accommodation of a gite.

We set off climbing a winding road, passing by young girls carrying heavy loads of vegetation on their backs with apparent ease, young children playing, and laden mules passed us by.

As we passed by the river, it appeared that this was the social hub of the village. Groups of women chatted together as they proceeded to wash brightly coloured clothing in the water, before laying the articles out to dry on the sun warmed rocks. I would have liked to linger here a bit longer, but we still had quite a way to go, and we needed to reach the gite before it got too dark.

We did stop for a short while to let the rest of the group catch up, luckily this was next to a small kiosk, where our guide purchased drinks. I don't usually drink fizzy drinks, but my chilled coca cola was very welcome!

It was quite a relief to reach the gite as night fell, and the smell of cooking from inside made me realise just how hungry I was feeling.

Village life

After a few hours sleep, I woke to the sound of cockerels crowing, and realised that if I got up I'd probably witness the sun rising.

This was a good decision - just sitting on the terrace, enjoying the peace and quiet and the views over the valley below - I still get goose bumps remembering it!

Later after breakfast, a group of us set off down into the valley, to visit a local family. Another of our group had headed off earlier up the mountain for great views

Village life in Tighza

We headed down the valley, passing fields, and vegetable plots, where young girls were tending the crops or harvesting greenery - presumably for feeding their animals. Our guide stopped intermitantly to pick berries, nuts and fruits such as pomegranite for us to eat

We eventually reached the families Ksar. to be continued....

• Pros:Peaceful location,
  • In a nutshell:Typical unspoilt village life-
  • Last visit to Tighza: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2008

Travelogues (1)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I love the way your story flows from one tip to another Sue :o) What an experience!! Another great page mate! xx

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 1:49 PM

So manymore places in Morocco -- did u sleep in that red adobe house (family u visited?)...nice tips, Norman:)

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Your tips, which are always 5*, are a model of how VT tips should be. i have often wondered about those Exodus tours. How many were there in the group? Did the group dynamics work? Were there any problems?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 10:51 AM

glad you got up to Tighza! have been there a couple of times - we crossed the river in our little car though and drove up!Hi stopping by for another visit.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Sounds like a great place to stay.

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Tighza