Zagora Local Custom Tips by suvanki Top 5 Page for this destination
Zagora Local Customs: 3 reviews and 3 photos
You looking at me???
The camels we encountered during our trip were mainly dromidaries- the 1 humped model!
These ships of the desert have carried man and cargo over the centuries, aiding the Trans- Saharan trading development. Nowadays, their ancestors earn their living by transporting travellers and tourists from near and far, into the Saharan experience. Plus probably having more photo shoots than a pack of supermodels!
Apparently camels live to about 25 years of age, the camels on our trek were probably between 12 and 14 years of age. They are bought and sold at the local markets.
When a camel is too old to work, or it dies, its meat is used for food - apparently it is mainly the inhabitants of the Saharan villages that eat this tough meat. Their skin is used for materials,- tent coverings, bags etc, and the bones are used as knife handles etc!
More Reviews (14)
- See All Sunrise in the Sahara
- See All Saharan Dining
- Midnight at the Oasis
- Camel trek
suvanki's Related Pages
Zagora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting The Hump in Zagora!"
- "Les folies berberes"
- "Zagora and the Draa Valley"
- "The Gate of the Desert"
- "Not quite the end of the road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zagora
- Hotels in Zagora
- Transportation in Zagora
- Nightlife in Zagora
- Restaurants in Zagora
- Shopping in Zagora
- Warnings and Dangers in Zagora
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cebu Island
- Amalfi Hotels
- Kitakyushu Hotels
- Parish of Clarendon Hotels
- Navotas Hotels
- Port Jefferson
- Tamalpais Valley Junction Hotels
- Santo Domingo
Badges & Stats in Zagora
- 15 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Zagora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zagora
Photos in ZagoraSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 157 reviews, 584 photos, 19 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos