"Ankara" Ankara by suvanki

Ankara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,293 photos

Ankara

Although Ankara doesn't have the same character, atmosphere and historical interest of Istanbul, I find it quite interesting.
I particularly enjoy visiting Ataturks Mausoleum whenever I visit Ankara.

On each of my visits to Ankara, I have stayed with my old friend Bilal and his family. So, unusually for me, I haven't had the chance to explore this city in depth. ( Most of my travelling around Turkey has been done solo, but here, I am 'chaperoned ' ) Having said this, I am lucky enough to experience living with a Turkish family for a short while, and enjoying the small differences in our lives and culture. Although his parents don't speak any english, I've always been made to feel 'at home' .

Although I haven't visited Ankara since 1993, hopefully my tips will still be of some use to VTers intending to visit this capital city, or for those reminiscing!

• Pros:Capital City, good connections to rest of Turkey and beyond
  • Cons:Hot and humid in summer
  • In a nutshell:Anit Kabir, is worth visiting the city for! Look for the hidden gems
  • Last visit to Ankara: May 1993
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your tips with us. going there in Sept and doing my research. ;-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Thanks Sue for bringing back sweet memories about this beautiful city!

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2008 at 11:32 PM

hi! I'll visit Ankara in two weeks. It seems every visitor sees the same attractions here. Maybe it's the local life that makes the difference here (less touristic as you say). konstantinos

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 4:31 AM

ankara is often forgotten by tourists, who prefer to go to the sunny and crowded beaches of the south-west coast

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Ankara