"Avanos" Avanos by suvanki
Avanos Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 35 photos
Avanos is famous for its pottery. This small Central Anatolian town, is situated on the banks of the Kizilirmak River (Red River), so named because of the red clay beds that provide the material for the famous Avanos Pottery.
Shops and workshops are full to the brim of plain terracotta and glazed pots , plates and vases etc. There are also tile making factories on the outskirts.
I visited Avanos for a day, from Goreme, and enjoyed the atmosphere of this working town.
Although my visit was in 1991, I hope some of my info will still be useful.
- Pros:Friendly working Town, Pottery Workshops
- In a nutshell:Good base for visiting Capadoccia.
This red clay monument is in the main square. It is quite an interesting piece of work. Completed in 1974, by H Omer... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Avanos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Avanos: The Pottery capital"
- "GETTING DOWN AND DIRTY IN AVANOS"
- "Avanos from my Eyes..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avanos
- Hotels in Avanos
- Nightlife in Avanos
- Restaurants in Avanos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avanos
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Avanos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avanos
Photos in AvanosSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 168 reviews, 621 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos