"Erzurum - Arz -er- rum - ' The land of Rome'" Top 5 Page for this destination Erzurum by suvanki
Erzurum Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 167 photos
Although my visit here was 12 years + ago, the info re sights etc, will probably still relevant. I found it to be a fascinating place, with plenty to see and do. The people were all so friendly- locals, students and visiting tourists. I lost count of the invitations for drinks, ice creams, meals, the cinema, parties or for chats ( in Turkish, English, and French!)- also lots of photos taken, and address swapping.
Before my visit, I'd had the impression of Erzurum being a cold unfriendly, austere place- Well, I found otherwise- A great travel experience for me.
Erzurum is considered to be the capital of Eastern Anatolia. It is located at an altitude of 6396 ft, on a plain surrounded by mountains. It is therefore the highest provincial city in Turkey.
The city was a stopping off place for caravan traders travelling from the Black Sea to Persia.
It is the coldest city during Winter. (I arrived here in May, and as you can see from some of my pics, there is still snow on the mountains)
Erzurum has a 'frontier town' feel, probably owing to a military prescence- it is the command post for the defence of Anatolia from Russian invasion.
Erzurum is also home to Eastern Turkeys main University, with Archeology and agriculture being its specialist subjects. Apparently, it is difficult to entice teachers away from Istanbul and Ankara to work here, due to the harsh winters, and limited entertainment - oh and the fact that Wolves have been spotted roaming the campus in winter!
I arrived in Erzurum by bus from Trabzon, and on my way to Sanliurfa. The journey here was over scenic mountain roads, reminiscent of the Austrian Tyrol, I arrived here at night, so missed out on the surrounding landscape.
to be continued....
- Pros:Friendly students and locals. Plenty to see and do.
- Cons:Austere buildings, military prescence.
- In a nutshell:Untouristy working town, with hidden gems!
This mosque is Ottoman in style, commissioned by Lala Mustafa - who was the conquorer of Cyprus. It was built between... more travel advice
July 22nd 1919 , The Erzerum Congress, attended by Ataturk, determined the boundaries of the Territories of The National... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Erzurum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Erzurum - Turkey's highest provincial capital"
- "maykal's new Erzurum Page"
- "An historical city at 2000 mt above sea level"
- "Erzurum - Arz -er- rum - ' The land of Rome'"
- "Erzurum - a two days journey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erzurum
- Hotels in Erzurum
- Transportation in Erzurum
- Restaurants in Erzurum
- Warnings and Dangers in Erzurum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erzurum
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Erzurum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erzurum
Photos in ErzurumSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 171 reviews, 629 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 390 photos, 33 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos