"Erzurum - Arz -er- rum - ' The land of Rome'" Top 5 Page for this destination Erzurum by suvanki

Erzurum Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 112 photos

Erzurum - some info.

Although my visit here was 12 years + ago, the info re sights etc, will probably still relevant. I found it to be a fascinating place, with plenty to see and do. The people were all so friendly- locals, students and visiting tourists. I lost count of the invitations for drinks, ice creams, meals, the cinema, parties or for chats ( in Turkish, English, and French!)- also lots of photos taken, and address swapping.

Before my visit, I'd had the impression of Erzurum being a cold unfriendly, austere place- Well, I found otherwise- A great travel experience for me.

Erzurum is considered to be the capital of Eastern Anatolia. It is located at an altitude of 6396 ft, on a plain surrounded by mountains. It is therefore the highest provincial city in Turkey.
The city was a stopping off place for caravan traders travelling from the Black Sea to Persia.
It is the coldest city during Winter. (I arrived here in May, and as you can see from some of my pics, there is still snow on the mountains)

Erzurum has a 'frontier town' feel, probably owing to a military prescence- it is the command post for the defence of Anatolia from Russian invasion.

Erzurum is also home to Eastern Turkeys main University, with Archeology and agriculture being its specialist subjects. Apparently, it is difficult to entice teachers away from Istanbul and Ankara to work here, due to the harsh winters, and limited entertainment - oh and the fact that Wolves have been spotted roaming the campus in winter!

My time in Erzurum

I arrived in Erzurum by bus from Trabzon, and on my way to Sanliurfa. The journey here was over scenic mountain roads, reminiscent of the Austrian Tyrol, I arrived here at night, so missed out on the surrounding landscape.

to be continued....

• Pros:Friendly students and locals. Plenty to see and do.
  • Cons:Austere buildings, military prescence.
  • In a nutshell:Untouristy working town, with hidden gems!
  • Last visit to Erzurum: May 1993
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Erzurum

Have you been to Erzurum?