"Qazvin - Safavid capital city of Persia" Qazvin by suvanki
Qazvin Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 169 photos
Leaving Tehran, we headed for Qazvin, nearly 150 km, in a north west direction
Although I'd enjoyed my short time in Tehran, I was looking forward to exploring the rest of Iran, especially some of its less well known places.
Arriving in Qazvin (Also known as Ghazvin) the first port of call was to the Rah Kushk Gate, to admire its decorative tilework. We also visited the stunning Friday Mosque and the (Blingtastic!! ) Imamzadeh Mosque. (Photos and tips below)
Founded around 250CE by King Shapur (Sasanian era) and named Shad Shapur
City becomes centre of Persias Islamization process in the 7th Century
8th Century Caliph Harun -ar - Rashid builds strong fortified walls around the city
13th Century - City destroyed by Genghis Khan
1548- Qazvin succeeds Tabriz as the Persian capital of the Safavid Kingdom, under Shah Tahmasp, which saw the construction of many grand buildings etc.
50 years later Esfahan took the title! Shah Abbas1 was the ruler
1796 - developed as the main trading base between The Caspian Sea, The Persian Gulf and Anatolia
1909 - Qazvin conquored by Iranian nationalist force of nearby Rasht
1921 - A coup d'etat launched from Qazvin, results in the assumption of power by Reza Shah Pahlavi, and the establishment of Modern Persia, later to be named Iran!
Until the early 1990s Qazvin was part of Zanjan Province, it is now the capital of Qazvin province.
Qazvin is famed in Iran for its agriculture, due to the levels of rainfall in the area. Wheat, cotton, fruit - especially seedless grapes are its main crops. The city is the commercial centre of the province, with flour and textile mills, food processing plants, and electrical equipment manufacturing.
The bazaar is known for its carpets and metal beating workshops.
- Pros:Architecturally and historically interesting town
- Cons:Didn't find any during my short stay
- In a nutshell:Worth a day trip from Tehran
Before entering the shrine, I had to put on a chador. Prior to my trip I was well aware that I wasn't required to... more travel advice
Entering the mausoleums interior courtyard, I wasn't expecting the optical overload of mirrored and ceramic tiles,... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Qazvin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qazvin, The Safavid Capital"
- "Qazvin - Safavid capital city of Persia"
- "Jame' Atiq Mosque of Qazvin"
- "An Old City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qazvin
- Hotels in Qazvin
- Transportation in Qazvin
- Restaurants in Qazvin
- Shopping in Qazvin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Porto Santo Island
- Rhode Island Hotels
- Muhafazat Musandam Hotels
- Monkey Island Hotels
- Laguna Cajititlán Hotels
- Bukit Panjang New Town Hotels
- Antelope Island
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Atlantic City
- Clearfield Junction Hotels
Badges & Stats in Qazvin
- 12 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Qazvin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qazvin
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: What do I need to see in Italy?"
- updated a Qazvin Travel Page "Qazvin - Safavid capital city of Persia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Omar Khayyam Statue - or not!"
- Wrote a Review Imamzadeh -ye- Hossein Shrine- chadors in Qazvin Things to Do
- Commented on one of Sambawalk's Qazvin travel pages
Photos in QazvinSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 157 reviews, 584 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 103 reviews, 599 photos, 22 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos