"Qazvin - Safavid capital city of Persia" Qazvin by suvanki

Qazvin Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 169 photos

Day 2 - Visit to Qazvin en route to Anzali

Leaving Tehran, we headed for Qazvin, nearly 150 km, in a north west direction
Although I'd enjoyed my short time in Tehran, I was looking forward to exploring the rest of Iran, especially some of its less well known places.

Arriving in Qazvin (Also known as Ghazvin) the first port of call was to the Rah Kushk Gate, to admire its decorative tilework. We also visited the stunning Friday Mosque and the (Blingtastic!! ) Imamzadeh Mosque. (Photos and tips below)

Qazvin - History etc

Founded around 250CE by King Shapur (Sasanian era) and named Shad Shapur

City becomes centre of Persias Islamization process in the 7th Century

8th Century Caliph Harun -ar - Rashid builds strong fortified walls around the city

13th Century - City destroyed by Genghis Khan

1548- Qazvin succeeds Tabriz as the Persian capital of the Safavid Kingdom, under Shah Tahmasp, which saw the construction of many grand buildings etc.

50 years later Esfahan took the title! Shah Abbas1 was the ruler

1796 - developed as the main trading base between The Caspian Sea, The Persian Gulf and Anatolia

1909 - Qazvin conquored by Iranian nationalist force of nearby Rasht

1921 - A coup d'etat launched from Qazvin, results in the assumption of power by Reza Shah Pahlavi, and the establishment of Modern Persia, later to be named Iran!

Until the early 1990s Qazvin was part of Zanjan Province, it is now the capital of Qazvin province.

Qazvin is famed in Iran for its agriculture, due to the levels of rainfall in the area. Wheat, cotton, fruit - especially seedless grapes are its main crops. The city is the commercial centre of the province, with flour and textile mills, food processing plants, and electrical equipment manufacturing.

The bazaar is known for its carpets and metal beating workshops.

• Pros:Architecturally and historically interesting town
  • Cons:Didn't find any during my short stay
  • In a nutshell:Worth a day trip from Tehran
  • Last visit to Qazvin: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• Jul 9, 2009 at 1:21 PM

The photo of the entrance reminds me the "Decke der Markthalle" by Gaudí barcelona.de/de/barcelona-pa...

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Sue, it was a delight to read your Qazvin page. Excellent tips ! I enjoyed my short visit to Iran last november, but I don't find time to build my Iranian pages. See you in Cascais !

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Beautiful page on Qazvin. Iran is high on my list, but not sure when. I've just returned from northern India where the architectural influence from Iran is evident.

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Qazvin