"Tehran 'The end of the Road'" Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran by suvanki

Tehran Travel Guide: 516 reviews and 1,671 photos

Thinking of all my friends, their friends and families in Tehran , and throughout Iran - The World is Watching!

Tehran (or Teheran) means 'end of the road'- it was literally the last settlement on the road from Rey - the former capital.

Well, Tehran was to be the start of the road, for my tour of Iran, and it would also be the end of my road trip. In between there would be many miles covered, as I explored Iran for the first time.

Teran was probably the place I was least looking forward to during my 19 day trip - smog, traffic chaos, heat and humidity, ugly concrete buildings, bustling crowds of people were some of the things I was anticipating.

Well, yes- these were all as expected, but there were some surprising gems as well

Day One

My guide arrived as arranged, but he explained appologetically that our driver had a problem with the car, and it wouldn't be ready for another couple of hours.
I suggested we went to look at the murals on the walls of the nearby former US embassy - known as the US Den of Espionage, or nest of spies!
As we were walking around, I asked my guide if it was ok to take photos, he said yes, there was no problem, so I snapped a slogan on the wall and headed back to the front wall to capture the legendary Skull on the statue of Liberty.

to be continued......

• Pros:The friendly, proud locals, historical sights.
  • Cons:Traffic fumes,
  • In a nutshell:Look beyond the pre-conceptions
  • Last visit to Tehran: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2009

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 5:54 AM

You certainly are brave! I'll vicariously experience Tehran via your pages. What an experience concerning taking photos! Excellent tips that are informative, most interesting, and filled with great insights.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Great tip! Every tourist should read this...It is very unfortunate things like this happen.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Hi Sue, I ate in that same restaurant. A great experience. Great tips!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Sue, nice to read your interesting tips of Teheran. I don't know yet if I will come to the VT meeting in Cork two weeks before my departure. In that case we can maybe talk a bit about your experiences in Iran.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM

It's time for me to visit the End of the Road... Thanx.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Yay, so glad u got there& back, such a fascinating visit!Glad u did go take a look at the contemp art thx!&yes in all the islamic countries ive been to if one assumes its ok to look a frump usuallys outdone by the elegant locals!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Tehran