"Derbyshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire by suvanki
Derbyshire Travel Guide: 792 reviews and 1,803 photos
Derbyshire is one of my favourite places to visit. Having lived in Nottinghamshire, and now Sheffield, it's never been too difficult to reach.
Some of my earliest childhood memories are of visits to Derbyshire, either visiting relatives in Darley Dale and Matlock, paddling in Bakewell or at Padley Gorge, Castleton to see the caverns or christmas lights, School outings for fun or education. Gentle strolls, which soon graduated into 'Yomps' over miles of countryside. As a teenager, I wasn't too enamoured with knee jarring marathons in cold and rainy climbs, but in later years, I soon learned to appreciate the beautiful scenery, and benefits of (free) exercise and fresh air.
In later years, the many pubs and restaurants have also been the attraction- :-) nothing better than a cool beer or 2 after a days walking in the Peak District, or a warming drink enjoyed by a log fire in a village pub.
Even when travelling further afield, the train journey from Sheffield to Manchester is usually part of my holidays highlight! I never cease to be stunned by the scenery viewed from the train window.
To be continued.......
Well, where to begin??
Probably at the local Tourist Information office- For upto date info on events, guide books, maps etc.
Ashbourne TI- Tel 01335 343666
Bakewell TI Tel 01629 813227
Buxton TI Tel 01298 25106
Castleton TI Tel 01433 620679
Chesterfield TI Tel 01246 345777/8
Edale TI Tel 01433 670207
Matlock Bath TI Tel 01629 55082
Matlock TI Tel 01629 583388
Places to see:
Bakewell (Market Town, Bakewell Show, River Walk, Bakewell Pudding, Shops, pubs, Tea rooms, Hotels, B&B, YHA, Camping)
Castleton ( Peveril Castle, Caverns, Walking, Caving,Shops, Pubs, Tea rooms, Hotels B&B, YHA)
Hathersage (Little John buried here, Outdoor Swimming Pool,Walking, Shops, Pubs, Tea Rooms, hotels,YHA, Barn Accomodation, Railway Station)
Edale (Start (end) of Pennine Way, 2 pubs, YHA, Camping, Walking, Railway Station)
Eyam (Plague Village, Well Dressing, Pubs, Tea Rooms)
Buxton ( Georgian Spa Town, Theatre, Festival, Shopping, Hotels, Railway Station)
Matlock / Matlock Bath (Town, Railway, Shops, Lido, Venetian lights, amusements)
Chesterfield ( Town, Markets, Shops, 'Crooked Spire', pubs, hotels, Railway Station)
Things to Do
Walking, Rock Climbing/ Abseiling, Caving/pot holing, Cycling, Canoeing, Fly Fishing, Shooting, Paintballing etc.
Museums, Theatres, Village Fetes, Agricultural Shows, Horticultural Shows.
Well Dressings, Sheepdog Trials...and much much more!!!!
I'll try and keep this page updated with local events for the year such as Well Dressings, Village Shows etc.
Hopefully It won't be too long before I'm back in Derbyshire, and I'm compiling new tips.
- Pros:Scenery, moors, hills and villages
- Cons:Some towns/ villages can get congested at weekends
- In a nutshell:One of Englands Gems!!
We visited this pub on an evenings drive out from Sheffield. Phil had recently visited here, when he was camping at... more travel advice
I've seen this landmark many times when visiting this Derbyshire town, and from the train or coach when travelling... more travel advice
suvanki's Related Pages
Derbyshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Derbyshire, My Adopted County"
- "Derbyshire - The Amber Valley"
- "Hill and Dale, Town and country"
- "Derbyshire in June"
- "The county next door........."
- "Welcome to my Derby page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Derbyshire
- Hotels in Derbyshire
- Transportation in Derbyshire
- Nightlife in Derbyshire
- Restaurants in Derbyshire
- Shopping in Derbyshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Derbyshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Derbyshire
- 40 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Derbyshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Derbyshire
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 621 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 102 reviews, 594 photos, 22 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 155 reviews, 517 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 38 reviews, 371 photos, 27 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos
Top Derbyshire hotels
- Bakewell Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 160 Photos
- Derby Hotels
- 101 Reviews - 179 Photos
- Buxton Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Ashbourne Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Matlock Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Chesterfield Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 128 Photos
- Edensor Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Swadlincote Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Peak District National Park Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 222 Photos
- Glossop Hotels
- 1 Review - 14 Photos
- Eyam Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Castleton Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 38 Photos