Periyar Sanctuary Shopping Tips by suvanki Top 5 Page for this destination

Periyar Sanctuary Shopping: 3 reviews and 4 photos

coffee - Periyar Sanctuary

coffee

Spices Garden: Spices!

A wide range of organic spices, most grown locally.

The owner is friendly and knowledgeable about the spices he sells.

A wonderful aroma!

What to buy: Cardamom..The Queen of Spices!

Saffron...grown in N India, but cheaper than bought in UK...The Real Thing too..not marigold heads as sometimes sold as saffron!

Vanilla pods

Aniseed

Masalas

Cinnamon bark...for cooking in stews/curries etc..Cinnamon sticks are for baking!

Teas are also sold

What to pay: Cheaper and fresher/better quality than usually purchased in supermarkets etc in UK

Address: Near Kumily, Kerala

Website: http://e mail binnutm@yahoo.com

• Updated Jun 24, 2008
Kumily shop signs - Periyar Sanctuary

Kumily shop signs

I only wanted post cards!!

There are quite a number of similar establishments in Kumily, but this was the only one that I went into

Although I was only intending to buy postcards, I soon succumbed to the salesmans patter and the array of goods on sale.

The dimly lit shop was full of local and Kashmiri goods ( the majority of souvenir / craft shops in Kumily are run by Kashmiri refugees).

Pashminas, Silk scarves and paintings, jewellery, ornaments and trinkets were crammed into all available shelf space.

I was particularly attracted to the pashminas, and had soon found THE ONE, that I couldn't live without!!, however, when he then produced some unusual 2 tone silk scarves, I was torn ! He was asking £28 and £22 for each - Hmmmm time for some serious haggling!

I then spent a delightful hour or longer, in the process of getting him down to a more realistic price. During this time, over tea and cakes, I learnt much about Kashmir and life there.

I still thought I could get a better price from him, so decided I'd go back to my hotel, then return later.

I did so, although the shopkeeper had doubted I'd return (he said most tourists didn't come back into Kumily after dark)

After further haggling, I bought both items for the total of £17!
I'd enjoyed this shopping experience, a pleasant way to spend my afternoon, and learn a bit about the local culture.

What to buy: Pashminas
silk goods
paper mache christmas decorations
"ethnic" jewellery

oh, and postcards!

What to pay: Whatever the asking price...Haggle!

Depending on the number of tourists visiting at a time, may affect how much of a bargain you get. The salesmen are usually working for the shop owners and are therefore under pressure to get a sale. However, I was not unduly pressurised to buy, as I have been in some places elsewhere.

Address: Kumily

Directions: On Kumily road, I think it was in the last block of shops on the right side of the road heading towards Periyar.

Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Jun 24, 2008

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Badges & Stats in Periyar Sanctuary

Have you been to Periyar Sanctuary?

Latest Activity in Periyar Sanctuary