Periyar Sanctuary Shopping Tips by suvanki Top 5 Page for this destination
Periyar Sanctuary Shopping: 3 reviews and 4 photos
A wide range of organic spices, most grown locally.
The owner is friendly and knowledgeable about the spices he sells.
A wonderful aroma!
What to buy: Cardamom..The Queen of Spices!
Saffron...grown in N India, but cheaper than bought in UK...The Real Thing too..not marigold heads as sometimes sold as saffron!
Cinnamon bark...for cooking in stews/curries etc..Cinnamon sticks are for baking!
Teas are also sold
What to pay: Cheaper and fresher/better quality than usually purchased in supermarkets etc in UK
Address: Near Kumily, Kerala
Directions: Near Spice Village
Other Contact: email@example.com
Theme: Food and Drink
Website: http://e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Kumily shop signs
There are quite a number of similar establishments in Kumily, but this was the only one that I went into
Although I was only intending to buy postcards, I soon succumbed to the salesmans patter and the array of goods on sale.
The dimly lit shop was full of local and Kashmiri goods ( the majority of souvenir / craft shops in Kumily are run by Kashmiri refugees).
Pashminas, Silk scarves and paintings, jewellery, ornaments and trinkets were crammed into all available shelf space.
I was particularly attracted to the pashminas, and had soon found THE ONE, that I couldn't live without!!, however, when he then produced some unusual 2 tone silk scarves, I was torn ! He was asking £28 and £22 for each - Hmmmm time for some serious haggling!
I then spent a delightful hour or longer, in the process of getting him down to a more realistic price. During this time, over tea and cakes, I learnt much about Kashmir and life there.
I still thought I could get a better price from him, so decided I'd go back to my hotel, then return later.
I did so, although the shopkeeper had doubted I'd return (he said most tourists didn't come back into Kumily after dark)
After further haggling, I bought both items for the total of £17!
I'd enjoyed this shopping experience, a pleasant way to spend my afternoon, and learn a bit about the local culture.
What to buy: Pashminas
paper mache christmas decorations
oh, and postcards!
What to pay: Whatever the asking price...Haggle!
Depending on the number of tourists visiting at a time, may affect how much of a bargain you get. The salesmen are usually working for the shop owners and are therefore under pressure to get a sale. However, I was not unduly pressurised to buy, as I have been in some places elsewhere.
Directions: On Kumily road, I think it was in the last block of shops on the right side of the road heading towards Periyar.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (18)
- See All Tea plantations
- Getting to/ from Periyar
- Wildlife sanctuary...... may not see...
suvanki's Related Pages
Periyar Sanctuary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Periyar/ Thekkady/ Kumily"
- "Periyar wild life Sancturary and Thekkady..."
- "Periyar wildlife sancuary."
- "PERIYAR INDIAS MASAI MARA"
- "Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Periyar Sanctuary
- Hotels in Periyar Sanctuary
- Transportation in Periyar Sanctuary
- Nightlife in Periyar Sanctuary
- Restaurants in Periyar Sanctuary
- Shopping in Periyar Sanctuary
- Warnings and Dangers in Periyar Sanctuary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Periyar Sanctuary
- 20 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Periyar Sanctuary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Periyar Sanctuary
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Ooop North Camping meet"
- Commented on one of suvanki's Periyar Sanctuary travel pages
- updated a Periyar Sanctuary Travel Page "Periyar/ Thekkady/ Kumily"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tribal hut, the de luxe version!"
- Wrote a Review Photographs in Periyar Sanctuary Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Periyar SanctuarySee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 188 reviews, 626 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 160 reviews, 598 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 105 reviews, 651 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 45 reviews, 470 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 102 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 30 reviews, 306 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 194 photos
- Dublin Intro, 47 reviews, 201 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 40 reviews, 205 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 68 reviews, 168 photos