"Melk, a beautiful place and its baroque monastery" Melk by dvideira
Melk Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 850 photos
The place, formerly a castle, was donated to the Benedictines in 1089 by Leopold III von Babenberg.
Time passed by, with fires, reconstructions, Reform, Counter-Reforms, political changes, wars, and the abbey was completely rebuilt by the architect J. Prandtauer in the 18th century and turned into this splendid example of the baroque style.
The Abbey has a library whose holdings include approximately 100,000 volumes, about 1,200 manuscripts from the 9th to the 15th century, 600 manuscripts from the 17th to the 18th century and 750 Incunabula
- Pros:Near Vienna - a must go!
dvideira's Related Pages
Melk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Melk"
- "Melk, a small town at the Danube Valley"
- "St Colman and Melk - The Irish Connection"
- "Wachau - The Famous Town of Melk"
- "Melk, a beautiful place and its baroque monastery"
- "Melk - a beautiful baroque monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melk
- Hotels in Melk
- Transportation in Melk
- Restaurants in Melk
- Shopping in Melk
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Melk
- 46 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Melk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melk
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 60 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melk Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Vienna Intro, 27 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Praiano Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baden Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue